Thursday, October 09, 2008

Contests ... Thank You ... Concert Review


Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored," merry mass mayhem since 2005! Shed your baggage and join us! Our operators are standing by to take your call.

1. Great Contests!

Today I want to direct your attention to two fun contests, both with prizes! Evn, at "Lover of Strife," has offered a really fun challenge! Go and see for yourself.

Also, Mrs. B is giving great stuff away every day between now and Samhain! If you love Halloween, you've gotta bookmark Mrs. B.

(Note how Anne acts against her own interests, as she's a contestant at both sites.)

2. Huge Thanks for Outpouring of Weird Bands!

The request for weird bands elicited a fabulous outpouring of recommendations: more than 45 different bands/musicians! To all of you who suggested music for my daughter The Heir's radio show, I can only say THANK YOU! She had heard of some of the bands, but most of them were new to her. And what variety! From Leon Redbone and Tiny Tim to Gwar and Primus! (The Heir is already a huge fan of Negativland. We actually got to see a live show.)

For the love of fruit flies, we are a peculiar species. Which brings me to...

3. Concert Review: The Residents!



So far past weird that you can't even see weird in the rearview. For those of you who commented below -- you who dare venture to the precipice of weirdness and then dive off without a bungee cord -- the DVD of Bunny Boy is available at The Residents' Web site. While listening, just imagine someone performing it, wearing a grimy bunny costume.

This is definitely not a band that a political candidate would want at a performance fundraiser. A satisfying, terrifying freak show. I'm glad I went, even though it set my hip rehab back in painful ways.

4 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

so did you have fun?

Evn said...

You know, I read yesterday's post, and I kept thinking, "Come on, man! You used to work at a record store! You've got to have a weird band or two up your sleeve!"

But I couldn't think of anything. And I was sad.

[audience: "Awwww."]

But then, this afternoon, I bolted up and thought, "Of course! Why didn't it occur to me before?"

Ladies, gentlemen and Billy, may I present:

Pizzicato Five!

[audience bursts into wild applause]

Anne Johnson said...

Granny, it wasn't fun, but it wasn't boring either. My idea of fun is a shady, grassy lawn, a nice picnic blanket, a cooler of iced tea, and Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys singing "Man of Constant Sorrow."

yellowdoggranny said...

holyshit!..i was a disco witch apron at mrsb's..