Monday, June 11, 2007

If Thor Allows

Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored," where you can find a god or goddess for your every need in our handy Classified Ads. If you go to the sidebar and click "deity of the day," you'll see what we mean!

Thor is meandering past as I write this. I hope he doesn't get mad that I'm not an Asratu. Hey, I'm all for Asratus, Thor. Any pantheon is a good pantheon to me.

On Memorial Day I always go to a graveyard in an African American community where they have more than 100 black Civil War soldiers buried. You see, the community accepted any unknown or unclaimed Union soldier, because the federal graveyards would not bury black soldiers with white soldiers. (Yeah, this has always been a sucky country.)

There's one grave of a Civil War soldier there that recently got a new marker because the mortal remains beneath represent a soldier who won the Congressional Medal of Honor for bravery in the Navy. It has been my practice to leave a little patriotic arrangement on this man's grave in honor of him, and the other soldiers there, and my own hillbilly ancestors who ran to the Grand Army of the Republic recruiters as soon as the first shot was fired.

No one ever takes off what I put there, so this year there were three years' worth of beat-up flowers around the stone.

I found a pretty little red-white-n-blue leftover from Mem Day at the flea market yesterday. Having exhausted my brain with deep thinking, I decided to drive over and freshen the Union soldier's grave site.

While I was there I saluted Chonganda, awesome bored god of the Congolese people. I swear the ground moved underneath me.

So, as far as science and deep thinking and all that goes, I'm in the Robert Anton Wilson camp. We only use 10 percent of our brains. If we ever get the other 90 percent up and running, maybe all this other dimension stuff, and spirit movements, and bored gods, will be old hat.

Chonganda and I are getting to be very good friends. He's so bored he doesn't even have a Google image. I think he was doggone tickled to find a graveyard that he can protect.

Beannachd leat,
THE MERLIN OF BERKELEY SPRINGS
Tomorrow: Fundie sis amongst the faeries!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At June 11, 2007 , Blogger Christina said...

And bizarrely, you're the first site that comes up if you google Chonganda!

 
At June 11, 2007 , Blogger Anne Johnson said...

By all the bored gods, I'm proud of that!

 
At June 11, 2007 , Blogger jarjar_head said...

I believe that the correct spelling is 'Asatru' not 'Asratu.'

 
At June 11, 2007 , Blogger Anne Johnson said...

That's how much I know about that particular pantheon. Sorry!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home