Thursday, August 28, 2014

Fun with the Polyphonic Spree

Every summer, the Polyphonic Spree visits Philadelphia.

This is a Texas-based band with the usual assembly of rock instruments, plus horns and strings and a choir and a harpist.

It's hard to describe their music, except to say that it starts out low (or solo) and then explodes into an avalanche of sound. The front man, Tim Delaughter, sets the pace, which is ... well, spree-like.


I was never a fan of big arena concerts. If I had been, the Polyphonic Spree would have changed my mind. There's nothing like being able to sit or stand so close to the music that you feel like you're part of the band. And on this particular evening, Tim Delaughter told the crowd of Philadelphians that he is a Dallas Cowboys fan ... and then he came off the stage and walked among the audience. (I wish I knew what health plan he has, because it must be pretty thorough. Admitting to loving the Cowboys is never prudent in Philly.) He slapped a high five on The Spare, as well he should. She's a huge fan.

After the show, the violinist came out and talked to me and Spare. This is another wonderful, beautiful thing about smaller venue performers. They'll talk to you. Shake your hand. Really, really civilized.

If you're looking for some new tunes for your IPod or whatever, I can't recommend the Polyphonic Spree enough. There's nothing wrong with happy music. It's actually inspiring.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've never heard of the Polyphonic Spree but on the strength of your enthusiastic recommendation, I'm going to check them out!