Wednesday, August 06, 2014

180

Has this ever happened to you?

I had a colleague with whom I had to work closely, because we were the only sophomore teachers at our school. I loved her dearly, but wow, she was a challenge at times. First of all, she wore makeup like a movie star, perfect every day (which, folks, will take 20 years off your age). Then, she dressed impeccably every day, with matching jewelry and heels. Last but not least, she was one of the most anxious people I ever met. Last year was her final year of teaching. She sweated through her evaluations and worried herself sick about new test prep lessons. Sweet lady, but boy oh boy did she fret. She retired with no little fanfare on June 27.

I was afraid they might not replace my colleague at all, but they did. For the last two days I have been in a workshop with the replacement teacher.

He wears tie-dye shirts that he makes himself. Every day. He shaves if he feels like it. He would rather talk about bluegrass than teaching. He's a union rep. And he's my age. He and I will be the sophomore teachers this year.

Have you ever found someone in your life replaced by someone so completely and utterly opposite that you can't quite get over it? I've never been in this situation before. Every time the presenter at our teacher workshop says, "Pair up with the other teachers at your level," I find myself looking across the table at a person so completely opposite his predecessor that it boggles the mind.

Please tell me if this has ever happened to you. I'm not upset about it, I'm just adjusting to the new, completely different, reality.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds like things are looking up, if you ask me.

Maebius said...

I've had that happen at an old job, but in reverse. The old guard was cool and laid back and knew the systems in and out. The new guy was Type A Business Nerd fresh from school with enough degrees he was above us, merely by stacking them up and standing on the pile. it was horrible.

I think you'll do well though, with your new team. :D

yellowdoggranny said...

I was and am a brat...every 18 months or less I had to meet new teachers, classmates..and make new friends only to say good bye to them and start all over..