Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Waiting for a Monster

Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored!" So nice of you to drop by! Come on in and sit a spell. No, not there! No one ever sits on that chair. But isn't the upholstery gorgeous?

Have you ever noticed that when you're waiting for a monster, it doesn't arrive? And then, when your back is turned, there goes the monster, gobbling everything in sight.

Take it from me, Anne Johnson. Monsters always arrive unexpectedly.

I've been downstairs, doing housework. Waiting and watching for the UPS truck. You see, I'm expecting a monster to arrive today.

He's late.

The monster's name is GULP.

Yesterday I wrote about Otter the River God, kahuna tribal leader of the Spoutwood Fairy Festival. When Otter isn't gathering together his vast River Tribe, he and a co-host run puppet shows at the fair.

One of his puppets is a monster named GULP.

My daughter The Spare and I caught one of the puppet shows while we were at the fair, and afterwards we couldn't stop laughing about GULP. So I asked GULP to come and live with us.

After 21 years of Decibel the Parrot, a monster that says nothing but "Gulp" will be a welcome addition!

UPS promised GULP for today. It's almost five o'clock and ...

Wait a minute. Is that the dog across the street who hates the UPS driver???

?????

Oh man. No mistaking that rumbling zoom of the UPS truck!


What ho! There's a box on the porch!


Mmmm. I should have asked Otter the River God what GULP eats. If I'm lucky, the thing will lust for live parrot.

3 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

i think i have something to add to your pile of books...

buddydon said...

i hate to be the one to say it, but it dont seem lackly ye wood be that lucky! i bet the thang insists on eatin nuthin but air!

Pom said...

I hope this doesn't mean that "Big Red" has been demoted. I sure do like Big Red...