Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Modest Proposal

Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored!" You're looking well today. Hope you had a restful weekend.

Jonathan Swift once wrote a satire called "A Modest Proposal" in which he suggested that the children of poor Irish peasants be gathered up, cooked, and served to the wealthy Irish elite as a gourmet food. This, he said, would solve the problem of poverty in Ireland, as the poor mothers would be paid for their "crops."

My proposal is just as modest but a bit more serious.

There's not a drop of Irish blood in me, unless one of my Ulsterman ancestors married outside the clan. Which I doubt. Nevertheless, I'm aghast, but not surprised, by the news of abuse by Roman Catholic teachers of generations of poor students in "schools" for the underprivileged.

Honestly, did we not know this was happening? Even as it happened? Even as it continues to happen?

So, what is an Irish Roman Catholic to do about this?

Here's a modest proposal. DUMP THAT SATAN SECT.

Cast off your pope, your priests, your sadist nuns! Turn your back on those stone churches and walk onto Tara, where the deities of your ancestors wait for you!

Ireland, take back your bored gods. They will not allow your children to be abused!

Ask for them by name: The Dagda, Morrigan, Aine, Danu. Plead for their help in removing the shackles of a religion that does more harm than good. Worship the deities who have no Book of Right and Wrong, just a code of basic morality that can change with the times: do no harm.

Ireland, return to The Ancient Ones. They are waiting for you. With open arms.

6 comments:

Aquila ka Hecate said...

Bravo! What a post!

Love,
Terri in Joburg
Also without any Irish blood, that she knows of anyway.

Maeve said...

They've known about it for a long time, but I think the investigative process by non-church people just took a while to get good evidence. There's a film that was put out in 2002 called 'The Magdalene Sisters' that is about this. I was in a "watch movies about Ireland" phase at the time, and rented it. And was horrified. I don't really understand why people can continue to justify and rationalize their participation in the Catholic Church. Absolutely baffles me.

Nettle said...

I've heard a few people now comment on this in shock, including some Catholics who are rethinking their religion. Joni Mitchell did a song about this years ago - books have been written - poems - documentaries - the stories have been floating around for a long time. Did everyone really miss all of that? It reminds me of the pedophile-priest scandals - the "priest and the altarboy" have been stock characters in dirty jokes for a long time - did people really not know this was going on?

This is interesting to me from a psychological angle - it seems like as long as no one in authority is making a fuss about it, it's not really happening. Even if the knowledge is right out in the open in popular culture.

word verification: suckyth. As in, the everyday banality of evil suckyth mightily.

Alex Pendragon said...

I think perhaps I may have a drop or two of every lily-white persuasion of mankind embeded in my DNA, perhaps even including a little "color", and yes, speaking for all oppressed peoples everywhere, I say HEAR HEAR HEAR! FINE POST!

I'd like to waterboard one of those demons with holy water.....hehe........

Mama Kelly of 2 Witches Blog said...

"Once I was bound but now I'm gone away from the faithful fold'
From those who preach that holiness
is to do as you are told. "

It was the evil of some nuns I knew that inspired me to investigate other paths.

Blessings

Mama Kelly

yellowdoggranny said...

bravo...terrific post...i'm right proud of you..