Sunday, May 10, 2009

Always Need a Spare


Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored!"

This has probably happened to you. You're cruising down the Interstate, just under the radar, and suddenly there's a big POP, and then thump thump thump thump, and your car lists onto the shoulder.

You get out, and if you know anything at all about cars (which I sure don't), you get out the tools and start changing the tire.

Of course, in order to change the tire and go on your way, you need a good spare. At least something that will save you from the danger of whizzing traffic and the odd Jason or Freddie who might cruise by and know a sitting duck when they see one.

Spares are handy. They can be lifesavers.

I'm thinking of this today because it's Mother's Day. My daughter The Spare created a PowerPoint for me and left it up on the computer for me to see this morning. Each slide is basically a slice of what she likes about me:

*Slide One: Vultures, of course.
*Slide Two: Snowscapes, caption: "Don't say the word, or you'll jinx it!" (It hardly ever snows here.)
*Slide Three: "Road Trip Anyone?" Fun shots of things we've done in our limited travels -- limited by money, not by imagination.
*Slide Four: Cats. Our resident cats, Alpha and Beta, our foster kittens, some cute kitty shots.
*Slide Five: "I Do Believe in Fairies" -- no more description necessary!
*Slide Six: "Mommy, I love you!" From The Spare

When we were at the Spoutwood Fairie Festival and some of my blog readers came up to me, The Spare introduced herself as "The Spare." I'll bet a lot of people wouldn't like being called such a thing.

But when you're on that highway, and the tire blows, you realize how badly you need a Spare. Mine keeps me road-worthy. I love her to death.

5 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

everyone needs a spare...she's got everything going for her ...especially you..

Unknown said...

OK, what's the deal with the turkey vultures?

Maebius said...

How awesome! *waves to The Spare*
and yes, our kids do make our world go 'round.

Anne Johnson said...

My goodness, JC Patriot himself! A top tier blogger! Okay, Patriot, to catch you up, I worship buzzards. You should too.

Alex Pendragon said...

You've made her world-famous, what more could a daughter want?