Thursday, January 22, 2009

Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored," reassuring bland blather in a topsy-turvy world! Think of us as as a comfy McDonald's at a rest stop on the turnpike of life. You want to super-size that?

Lots of people were steamed when President Obama (still loves it) invited Rick Warren to deliver the invocation at the inauguration. We all know why President O did it. Gotta try to woo the Christian fringe that thinks Obama's either a communist or a Muslim, or both. (This is a mighty small fringe, I hope, but it is out there.)

Sometimes things work out better than you hope. Warren's invocation was blander than the blandest post ever churned out by the staff of "The Gods Are Bored." In contrast, the benediction offered by Joseph Lowery just crackled with righteous flame. Practically a smackdown of Mr. Purpose Driven Life, and certainly an uplifting moment no matter what religion you choose to follow.

Needless to say, President Obama did not include Pagans in his shout-out to all the different races, faiths, and sexual identities out there. Does that mean that Pagans don't have to pay federal taxes? I don't think I'm going to take a chance on that one.

I've lived to see the day when an African American man sits in the White House. I hope I live to see the day when the swearing-in of a new president eschews the Bible and the "so help me God" because Pagans have become numerous enough to command attention and respect.

If I live to see the day when a Druid offers the benediction at a presidential inauguration, I will hate to die, because the nation will truly be an interesting place.

I'm Anne Johnson, and I approve this message.

5 comments:

sageweb said...

I was overwhelmed at all the church ceremonies, prayers, and references to god during the historical day. What happened to seperation? But on the 2nd oath Obama took..he didnt use a bible ...so that is cool.

Pom said...

I'm all for him swearing on whatever makes him more committed to upholding his duties. I would, however, like to know which category we fit in if not of the Abrahamics, eastern religions, or "non-believers".

The reality of our first non-crusty old white Christian guy makes me wonder what's in store. Once we've crossed that barrier are all bets off? Will we now see our first woman, first gay, first non-Abrahamic, first polytheistic presidents?

How sweet it is... the possibilities.

yellowdoggranny said...

i was disappointed that he didn't mention pagans. especially since he mentioned non-believers...im writing him a letter...i really am.

Alex Pendragon said...

Look, any president that isn't out to get the "evil-doers" can't be all bad. Maybe the next president, a Japanese-American Woman, will acknowledge that we AREN'T evildoers to begin with, and then maybe we'll get that first openly Pagan Senator. It always starts with baby steps.

Servitor Lucem said...

Did you all notice that Rick Warren hardly got any acknowlegement from the crowd? Almostno applause? Well, it made me feel a *little* better...