Thursday, March 12, 2020

Homesick

On any given day, I miss living in the mountains. At certain times that general sadness blossoms into a deeper woe.

My grandparents lived 12 miles from the nearest convenience store and 25 miles from town. Their little cottage sat on the mountainside, and you couldn't see another house in any direction -- just mountains and forests.

Being that remote, my grandparents were ready to hunker down. They had shelves of canned goods and boxes of powdered milk and potato flakes. They had big jars of medicine and even cans of motor oil. It wasn't that they wanted to stay home all the time, it's just that frivolous trips to the store were a waste of time and gasoline.

I'm in the thick of coronavirus scare, and my store doesn't even have powdered milk. It's gross, I know, I know. But it serves a purpose.

Although I just ignored another birthday, and I feel like a spring chicken today, I had a whopper of a virus in January. I coughed for weeks. Worse than that, Mr. J had the same virus and developed pneumonia. He was in the hospital for two days.

The minute I heard "novel coronavirus" on the local news, I went out and bought a boatload of supplies. (Too late for hand sanitizer, but I'm not a fan anyway.) I stocked the freezer and the pantry and took some heat for it from picky Mr. J, who likes his foodstuffs minty fresh.

I have reason to believe my public school will be closed on Monday.

When Donald Trump was elected, I soothed myself by reading books about contagious diseases. The big ones, like smallpox and bubonic plague. Little did I know that this seemingly irrational choice of literature would be a cautionary tale. Not that the coronavirus is smallpox (which killed 3 of 10 who caught it), but if you're over 60 and have a history of pneumonia, it might as well be.

I think I have everything I need to live in this house for two weeks except one prescription that can be delivered.

There are people quarantined in my county. We have had one case confirmed.

As you might imagine, I'm sitting here thinking about the little cabin on the mountainside, bulging at the seams with foodstuffs and medicines, with rain barrels and kerosene lamps and pup tents and army blankets. Oh, to be at home once more!

Kind of hoping some bored deity will protect me, considering how much I do for Them. Okay, so I don't do much for them. But I used to, and they have good memories.

4 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY, BLOG FRIEND!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It's crazy out there, man, CRAZY. People are hoarding toilet paper like there's no tomorrow. I do wish I had some hand sanitizer though. There's a guy on Rachael Ray tomorrow who's going to teach how to make your own. I've got it set to tape . . . .

Janie Junebug said...

A belated happy birthday to you. How I miss the mountains. When we lived near Seattle, I could look out my kitchen window and see the Snoqualimie Mountains and if I walked around the corner, I saw Rainier. Most of our time in Maryland was spent in the valley of the Catoctin Mountains. We were not in a remote spot at all. I just like mountains. They're majestic. The hoarding that's going on reminds me of when blizzards approached us in Maryland. I won't be surprised if your schools are closed. It's happening in a lot of places.

Love,
Janie

yellowdoggranny said...

I'm going to house of satan monday evening and get to see first hand the assholeness of people.
if worse come to worse..I can bake my own bread and pasta