Thursday, October 22, 2009

Sometimes You Can't Root for the Home Team

Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored!" Root, root, root for the home team!

In our case, that would be the Philadelphia Phillies. Who are now on their way to a World Series.

It's funny, because Mr. Johnson and I bonded over a love of baseball, way back in the 20th century. We both loved the Orioles. But that was decades ago. Now we just don't like baseball anymore.

Mr. Johnson is a sports writer, you see. That's kind of like being a bus driver. While everyone else is celebrating, he's busting his chops trying to get his copy in on time.

Last night the Phils clinched. Mr. Johnson got sprayed with champagne and then had to write his story. He trudged in the door around 2:00 a.m. and went to bed at 4:00 a.m.

I guess some longtime wives might get a little upset if their husband came to bed at 4:00 a.m., reeking of cheap champagne. But in this household, our jobs are our bitches. He had barely settled in when I got up (5:30) and set off for school. I just got home around 6:00 p.m., and he's out in the garage (renovated as a home office), writing another story.

Decibel the Parrot is making dinner. Sunflower souffle.

You'll pardon me if I don't get excited about the Phillies. My better half is getting a little past his prime where this sports nonsense is concerned. As for me, I think baseball has never been the same since Brooks Robinson retired. That's all I'll say today. World Series? Bah, humbug.

6 comments:

Lavanah said...

Minus the champagne, cheap or otherwise, our spouses seem to be on similar schedules and career trajectories. Mine was home from work a bit before 4am and was in bed a bit after 4am. Today, my alarm clock was 6:30, and his was at 9am. Times like these, the crockpot is my friend! (but if Decibel will share the souffle recipe, I would love to have it.)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

"Our jobs are our bitches." This is everyone's epitaph in the 21st century, LOL!

Gruvkitty said...

My hubby is a writer, too. He is a trained journalist but mostly writes funny books these days with just a little freelance thrown in. Thing is, he'd love to write about sports! But only if he could bitch about whatever he wanted and be his usual cranky self. Hm, probably better suited for a blog. ;) He was super duper bummed about the Phillies game, but that's because he's a life-long Dodgers fan. Ruh Roh! Although the current public battle over the Dodger team btw McCourt and his wife is very entertaining!

Anonymous said...

EVERYONE LOOK UP TOUNGETIEDTEENS ON YOUTUBE ITS GONNA BE GREAT!

yellowdoggranny said...

I haven't given a big rats rear about baseball since my bums left Brooklyn..sigh*

M. Knoester said...

I more or less sympathise with Mr. Johnson. However I got to write exclusively about my (football=soccer) team, which makes it a lot easier. Especially when by a stroke of great fortune the UEFA cup final was held at our own stadium. I was at the office under the stands until 3 AM. I called for a cab at 2 AM, but was told that they were having a difficult time getting out of the center of town, being hailed as soon as they dropped off their fares. Home at 4 AM sounds about right.

One of the best memories was realising the CCTV around the stadium was still on and watching one of the players walking around on the pitch with a bottle of beer wearing nothing but a pair of briefs. He had to produce a sample for the drug test and decided that feeling the cold grass on his bare toes might help.