Thursday, February 05, 2009

Constant Comments


Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored!" Enter by the portal of your choice, but be sure to close the entryway. We're trying to conserve energy.

All ten of my readers must visit me by way of my profile page. How else could I have gotten 17,500 profile views since 2005? That's more people than live in my town! (Or it's ten people, each looking 1750 times.)

Recently I've gotten some fabulous comments.
An anonymous commenter alerted me to a Salon.com article about vultures. A link below that article (which was fabulous) sent me to a publication I'd never heard of before: Vulture News! Yes. You are reading right. Twice a year, a company in Africa publishes a journal all about vultures! And what fascinating reading! To whit:



1. Scavenging and predation by Black Vultures Coragyps atratus at a South American sea lion breeding colony (pp. 4 - 15)
2. Waste management and Hooded Vultures on the Legon Campus of the University of Ghana in Accra, Ghana, West Africa (pp. 16 - 22)

3. Demography of migratory vultures in and around Jodhpur, India (pp. 23 - 34)

4. Vulture populations in Pakistan and the Gyps Vulture Restoration Project (pp. 35 - 43)
Who could resist such captivating literature! And I have you, Anonymous, to thank for this! What is your favorite kind of pie? Consider it baked, as soon as Sears fixes my oven!

Morning Angel left an interesting comment on my previous post about the dwindling use of oral history in our modern, writing-laden world. The Angel wonders if this de-emphasis on memory has contributed to an increase in Alzheimer's disease, as well as in the disrespect our elders reap from us these days. Angel, I think the latter is almost certainly the case. Not long ago, it was the oldest shaman who remembered the weather from decades past and could predict when the worst storms would come. And do a damned better job than Accu-Weather at that!




I have found that if I turn the "moderate comments" application on for this blog, I'm not able to get comments at all. Therefore, "The Gods Are Bored" remains open to my one and only troll. He can say what he likes about me, but he tends to use my comments forum as a place to spew venom on some of my other readers. Well, it ain't gonna happen, because I'm vain enough to read my comments a few times a day, and if I see his face, I hit the little trash can faster than you can say RAT FINK.

We at "The Gods Are Bored" appreciate your feedback, so long as no one gets hurt and the furniture doesn't get stained. Thanks for caring enough to have a say!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have similar problems with a troll (I call him a Stalker, though, because he is also an ex-friend of mine that doesn't take the "please stop the venomous email stream" kindly) on my site... I guess the only way to deal with these types is to delete their contributions... unless there is another way to moderate

sageweb said...

Wow 17500...that is a lot of hits..you are popular.
I will make it 1 more ...not sure if I ever looked at your profile.

I have been getting a few spammers lately too..I just delete as soon as I see them. It is a pain to do all the comment moderation thingee...I wish you could take someones IP address and block them tho...that would be cool

Alex Pendragon said...

Anne, not that MY opinion carries all that much weight across the world wide web, but as blogs go, I am of the opinion that yours is one of the best ever written, as it actually contains CONTENT as opposed to trifle special effects and all that shallow bling that most of the more popular blogs are weighed down with. Oh, and you write very well to!

Thank you for being out there with a sense of humor!

Anne Johnson said...

Your blog is content-driven too Michael, so thanks! I tend to prefer blogs that are written, rather than engineered.

Unknown said...

I am not sure how i found you Anne but will rush off now to look at the profile page.....
Lisa xx

Celestite said...

I have comment moderation turned on for my blogs. I try to check it twice a day and post every comment that is a real comment. I tried turning the moderation off a little while ago and instantly collected a boatload of spam. Not trolls, sales spam; buy this, sale on that, un-believable. So the moderation came back.

yellowdoggranny said...

oh don't you look cute..you look like your about 14 years old...

I think i have a book on birds that might interest you..will go check it out..if so will send it to you.

now im off to look at your profile.

Lavanah said...

I agree with THE Michael. Your blog is a joy to read. You write well and you write about stuff, not only about yourself. hmm, wonder if I actually ever looked at your profile?

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to know you didn't receive one of my comments. I thought I'd offended you. Rodger Cunningham

Anne Johnson said...

You've never offended me, Professor Cunningham. And I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

Anonymous said...

Thank you. By the way, it's fine the Druids didn't write anything down, but I still wish there'd been some Roman Marcel Griaule to do interviews. RC

Unknown said...

Could you give the link to the Salon.com article? :)
and maybe the Magazine too? That is so awesome. ;)

:0)