Tuesday, April 14, 2020

My Perilous Journey through Haterfield

Are you bored? Many Gods are. Seek them out in this time of trial and tribulation. One of them is bound to be available and easy to please. Our operators are standing by to take your call!

I live in Camden County, New Jersey. It's in the southern part of the state, and therefore not nearly as overrun with the killer virus as other areas. Still and all, there are 1400 cases of coronavirus in the county right now, including a reported 20 in Haterfield, where I live. Eighty people have died.

As contrast, on March 13 when I left my classroom and locked the door, there were 3 cases in Camden County.

I'm a woman of a certain age, married to a man who was hospitalized with pneumonia back before any of this got under way. You can best bet I am heeding all the warnings. It helps to read the New York Times every day, because they are pulling no punches in their descriptions of the course of the illness. To call it a blow-by-blow worst case scenario would be hitting the nail on the head.

When one is confined to one's home, surrounded by foodstuffs one amassed prior to any governmental decrees, one tends to wander into the kitchen to whip up a batch of cookies. Every day. This, of course, has led to the COVID 15, meaning weight gain.

Inevitably it becomes necessary to take a stroll outside.

There's a little county park nearby, but it is knee-deep in mud, and I have the ruined pants and shoes to prove it. Therefore, today I decided to walk through the small Haterfield downtown district. What a disaster.

First of all, everybody is saying that there's so much less traffic than usual. Nobody told Haterfield. The traffic is as bad as ever. There are lots of pedestrians, too. Most of them weren't wearing masks.

I had my bandanna on and my hoodie pulled up over my head, and my sunglasses. I know all that stuff won't protect me, but I am courteous.

Pure foolishness led me through the door of the small CVS on Haterfield's main street. There was an employee right inside the door. She was not wearing a mask.

I asked her, "Do you have toilet paper?"

"No!" she barked. Like to take my head off.

I did a 180 and got the hell out of Dodge as quick as I could. Perhaps it was my "thug chic" attire? Perhaps she has had to answer that question 1000 times? Maybe she's just not a nice person.

So I'm walking back toward home, down a street that I hoped wouldn't be crowded. There was a woman walking on the other side of the street, no mask, talking loudly on the phone. To whit:

"YEAH THEY SENT HIM HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL. THEY SAID HIS OXYGEN LEVELS WERE BETTER. AND NOW HIS GIRLFRIEND DOESN'T FEEL GOOD AND HIS DAD, AND I'M REALLY WONDERING..."

I didn't hear the rest because I was holding my breath and sprinting in the other direction as fast as my flabby legs could take me.

Wowsa! The perils of walking in Haterfield!

Stay at home, my friends. I've learned my lesson. Tomorrow and for the unforseeable future I intend to sweep my floors briskly every day. Rake the yard even if it doesn't need it. Make my cookies heavier, so that I'll be working out by lifting them to my mouth.

No more Haterfield for me.

8 comments:

jenmoon said...

There is no way in hell I am going outside. My neighbor coughs outside CONSTANTLY.

Bob said...

It really is the safest thing to do.

It's just so damned boring. =)

anne marie in philly said...

today I got in the car and ran 3 errands.

I dropped off mail at the USPS drive-thru drop box, I used the ATM at the credit union drive-thru (check deposit), and I picked up lunch for spouse and I at the wendy's drive-thru.

maks and gloves worn, of course. even though I never got outta the car. and the windows were kept closed.

where I live, there are no sidewalks. and yet I saw people with no masks/gloves at the PO. WTF?

Debra She Who Seeks said...

These are strange times indeed. Could you find a workout video on YouTube perhaps?

Bohemian said...

Your Pandemic Humor is on Point, but I do agree, the few outings I've had were too stressful even tho' necessary, I won't be repeating them anytime soon. I have seen too many Clueless people to think this will be over any time soon... I don't know if they're just uninformed, ill informed, or deep into the Cult of Personality in the White House?

e said...

People are mostly behaving pretty well where I live, but it's a liberal town in a liberal state on the liberal left coast... In fact, I was doing a grocery run yesterday (for myself, my pop, and my neighbor) and nearly everyone was wearing a mask. Also, the grocery stores have you line up outside - 6 ft apart - and they let people enter in small batches. But, on my way to the store I saw something that actually shocked me: a truck with two large Drumpf posters in the back window. I mean, nobody around here would call attention to themselves that way! Nobody! Must have been an out of towner, someone from the east side of the state, poor deluded thing.

Staying in, staying home - it really is the best strategy.

Ol'Buzzard said...

My wife and I went out yesterday to take the garbage to the dump and on the way back we went through McDonalds and had a hamburger and fries - what a stupid thing to do. Sometimes you go temporarily nuts when you are isolating from your normal routine. We have nine cases of COVAD-19 in our county; but that is no excuse for taking this virus for granted.
Stay safe
the Ol'Buzzard

Anonymous said...

COVID-19

On Jan. 24, 2020 trump told reporters, "We have it totaly under control...it's going to be fine."
On Jan. 30, 2020 the WHO issued a global health emergency.
On Feb. 24, 2020 trump said, "The coronavirus is very much under control in the USA".

March 1, 2020- CONFIRMED CASES in US--69
March 27, 2020- CONFIRMED CASES in US--85,991 (world leader)
April 16, 2020-CONFIRMED CASES in US--639,664 (world leader)
spain in second place with 177,633

March 1, 2020-CONFIRMED DEATHS in US- One
March 27, 2020-CONFIRMED DEATHS in US- 1,296 (5th place)
April 16, 2020-CONFIRMED DEATHS in US- 30,985 (world leader)

As of 4/16/20- Deaths per million.
USA-104
Iran-58
Germany-48
Canada-32
A number of countries are doing worse than US in this catagory. But the interesting stat here is Canada. Canada has what republicans call "socialized medicine". You are 3.25 times more likely to die of covid if you live in the US!
Kayak