Monday, April 06, 2020

Gods Save the Queen

She's never been touchy-feely. She's always been stiff and stuffy. At times she has been flat-out clueless.

But today, and always, I am asking the Bored Gods to save the queen of England.

It boggles the mind that Queen Elizabeth II is still alive and able to make a coherent speech, given that she was born in 1926 (five months before my long-deceased mother) and that she bravely contributed to the effort in World War II while a princess and heir to the throne.

I know she's a figurehead with no political standing in the UK. Still, she's a symbol of the continuity of rule by a series of fairly educated and benign monarchs. She may only be an old lady in pearls, but she descends from Queen Victoria and does it nicely.

When you contrast her message to the citizens of the UK with the horrible, dishonest, self-serving and insulting daily briefings our chief executive is offering, you can't help but wonder if we would have been better off if England had crushed the colonial rebellion in 1781.

View the queen's address here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2klmuggOElE

How are you getting along? I'm having some difficulties.


6 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

QEII is an inspiration.

the dump is an abject failure AND a waste of DNA; his mother should have had an abortion.

I am fucking bored; if this is "retirement", FUCK DAT SHIT! I miss work, I miss most of my co-workers.

right now, I have knitting and reading and music to entertain me. and all the pretty flowers outside. my lawn guys just cut the grass for the first time this season today.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I watched the Queen's speech yesterday and thought she hit exactly the right note. Stiff upper lip and all that, pip pip.

I am doing okay so far. I'm trying to focus solely on "today" without anticipating or worrying over the future too much. It'll be what it'll be and I'll deal with it then.

Sorry to hear you're having difficulties. I hope you find a way to feel a bit better about the situation, which is indeed an anxiety-producing one.

Janie Junebug said...

If you want to write about your difficulties, we're here to sympathize--except for the vagasshole. He has no ability to empathize with anyone. I loved Her Majesty's address. She is not a leader of government. She is a leader in morale. Yes, she can be stiff, but Michelle Obama writes very kindly about her experiences with the Queen and I read long ago that the Queen does not hug children because if one got nervous and threw up on her, the child would forevermore be known as that kid who vomited on the Queen.

Love,
Janie

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Janie, I love that story about the Queen, LOL! Have never heard it before but you know, it makes sense.

Anonymous said...

Rodger C said...

Vivat! Vivat! Vivat!

Bohemian said...

I watched a Documentary not too long ago about Prince Charles and his Sons and tho' I'd never thought very much about the Royals, I was duly impressed with how much he and his offspring have been involved in Saving the Environment and doing philanthropic work around the Globe. He used to take his Boys on 'Holiday' to the Beach and they'd all pick up Trash... so humble when you think about their Position and that it's not something anyone would expect them to do, but they did it because they Cared about the Environmental impact of Trash on the Beaches and Oceans. Anyway, it is a stark contrast to that vile Human in our White House who doesn't have an ounce of Compassion, Empathy or Care a Rat's Ass about anything but making more Money off anyone or anything. He sees everything as just a commodity and everyone as just how they would be useful to his own Agenda.