Monday, April 22, 2019

Projects Completed and Occupied

The new luxury homes across the street are completed, upgraded, and occupied.

Behind Door Number One is a family of four: parents and children aged 3 and 1.5. The children don't understand the concept of "street." They run blithely where they please. Basically sucking entitlement from the breasts of their svelte mama, I guess.

Behind Door Number Two is a family of six: parents and children, the oldest of which is about 7. Double stroller often left on the double driveway beside the identical SUVs (well, one is gray and the other is white).

Family behind DN2 also has a dog, although my cat Gamma is about three times larger than said canine. This animal is one of those yappy pedigrees (Pom, maybe, but smaller). It makes some noise.

To say I have rolled out the red carpet of welcome to these families would be a misstatement of Trumpian proportions. I have offered a modest handshake. When the mother of the brood behind DN2 said, "I suppose you must have heard my noisy children," I didn't say, "What? Your little darlings, noisy? Why, I adore kids!" Nah. I just gave a thin grin and said, "I've lived here since 1987, and I've never seen so many children on this block."

SsssssSSSSSSSSsssssss. Petty, Anne. Very petty. Actually I don't mind the kids as much as the teacup pooch.

The one thing I have noticed that these two households have in common is this: Both dads look tired. They are prematurely gray, and they don't smile. Whenever I see them, they look grim.

Both sets of parents in both luxury homes are attorneys. That's all I know, and all I care to know.

I miss the trees.

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Don't let Gamma eat that little dog.

anne marie in philly said...

they both sound like pretentious assholes. have as little to do with them as possible.

e said...

I first read your title as: Projectiles Completed and Occupied. It made me wonder what you were aiming at the new neighbors!

Ol'Buzzard said...

I have no patience for kids. I don't like being around them - especially in a restaurant or theater.

Our world is over populated. We should not celebrate large families.

People like us should live secluded on a lake or pristine river; but the irony is, that that takes big bucks.

the Ol'Buzzard

yellowdoggranny said...

hide....