Monday, April 29, 2019

A Sacred Thunderbird Navel Gaze

For a long time I have talked the talk. But last week I walked the walk. I, Anne Johnson, flew in a plane to Salt Lake City to meet a Sacred Thunderbird named Andy N. Condor.

They say you're not supposed to cross the country to meet someone you've just known online. Well, that certainly holds true for humans, but condors ... totally different story.

Andy N. Condor lives at Tracy Aviary. He is frequently online, where he performs essential ministry on the subject of vultures and their importance to the life of the Earth. I first started seeing his posts about two years ago. Then I found out that he and I both turned 60 this spring.

So I went to see him.


The very patient and understanding Mr. J and I arrived at Tracy Aviary at 9:00 on the dot for our tour. O blessed Sacred Thunderbird! Andy knew I was coming, so I got to take a special private walk with him and pose for photographs. It was a transcendent moment, dear reader.


What a magnificent specimen! I tried to contain my praise and worship so I wouldn't get tossed out. It was hard. Several times I had to ask myself why I put on makeup.


I took this photo myself. We had quite a stroll. I got to talk to Andy's best friend, a lovely Bird Whisperer named Helen, and she told me everything about him that I didn't already know. Which took about 25 seconds.

After my walk and chat with Andy, I perused the rest of the birdies at Tracy Aviary, and then Mr. J and I drove out to Park City. This was just Day One of our sojourn, so stay tuned for further missives about the adventure.

Before signing off, though, I'll have to say that I don't travel much. I hadn't flown in a plane since 2000. I haven't taken a summer off since 2015, and I've never gone anywhere on Spring Break. This brief jaunt made up for some lost time. Those of you who've known me awhile might well imagine what it meant to me to get this up-close and personal with a Sacred Thunderbird.

More soon! I'm not finished with this vulture!

7 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

what a handsome bird is andy! he is worthy of all praise!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You are on a sacred pilgrimage, Anne! I know how that feels -- it is truly special. Glad you wore a wonderful tie-dye t-shirt when meeting His Eminence. What a very fine vulture, a very fine vulture indeed!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

And if you haven't flown since 2000, the sheer magnitude of airport security must have been a real experience for you too!

yellowdoggranny said...

I'm just so fucking proud of you and so happy..and how lucky Andy N Condor is to have met you..

e said...

How momentous to see a god in real life! The Lords of the Air are impressive, aren't they? Like Debra, I wholeheartedly admire your choice of clothing for the sacred event. Nothing says special occasion like rainbow tie-dye!

I am very happy for you that you had this opportunity and look forward to reading about the rest of the trip!

Ol'Buzzard said...

Good for you. Old buzzards are always worth a look-see.
the Ol'Buzzard

Chas S. Clifton said...

Andy N Condor. That took a moment to soak in. :)