Tuesday, April 09, 2019

Can't Please Everyone

Hello, and welcome to "The Gods Are Bored," where no good deed goes unpunished! Have you ever noticed that? The nicer you are, the more you're squashed. I'm Anne Johnson, a veritable pancake.

Today I arrived home to find the following note on my back porch:

To: Anne Johnson
From: Haterville Squirrels LL.C
Re: Ornamental Maple

It has come to our attention that you have made your ornamental maple inhospitable to hungry squirrels. Rest assured that we will bring this matter to the attention of the proper authorities. You can expect to hear from our attorney, as well as the local and/or national press.

Don't think for one moment that the many peanuts you put in the back yard every day will mitigate this debacle. We are tired of peanuts and need some tender greens in our diet.

This isn't over.

Okay, okay! I have a maple tree that I planted as a seedling, grabbed from another yard. It's the same age as my daughter The Fair, and so I call it "Fair Tree." Last year the squirrels got up in the canopy and ate all the buds. The tree had scant leaves the rest of the summer.

So yes, I committed a nefarious act, and to be honest I expected some kind of retaliation.


That's cayenne pepper. I admit, it's really, really mean. But the tree won't survive another year of having all its buds eaten. It's a small tree.

I will continue to put peanuts out for these local, snobby, Haterville squirrels. Don't tell them the peanuts are for the blue jays. Next thing you know, I'll get another memo.

8 comments:

Bob said...

They can be an angry mob ....sleep with one eye open.

Glad you're trying to save the tree, though!

anne marie in philly said...

yikes, those squirrels are MEAN muthafuckas!

e said...

Ugh. Squirrels.
Well done, you, for the cayenne pepper. I hope that helps your poor little tree. Tree have rights too, you know! Take that you nasty little vermin. Next time Anne is bringing a vulture to sit in the tree and pick off delicious little rodent morsels.
Ha!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Wow, you must buy your cayenne pepper in BULK! Good luck!

John Going Gently said...

Cayenne pepper eh?
I've learned something

Ol'Buzzard said...

I haven't found anything that will deter squirrels.
the Ol'Buzzard

Ol'Buzzard said...

I see mumbai got you also. They are more aggravating than squirrels.
the Ol'Buzzard

yellowdoggranny said...

squirrel fans are squirrely