Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Making a Pact

I am about to make a pact with an Andean condor who lives in an aviary.

He was hatched in the spring of 1959 and is celebrating a 60th birthday on Saturday.

They say he's in excellent health and could perhaps shatter records for his species in captivity.

Therefore, with a wink and a nod, I will enter into an agreement to see him again in 2029.

I have been in touch with the aviary, and they are awarding me a private audience with the dapper fellow. After our tete-a-tete, I will be spending the day doing volunteer work to help the staff prepare for the big birthday bash on Saturday.

I'm dragging poor Mr. J along, but after all this time he's well accustomed to my eccentricities.

Dear readers, I will report back when I return.

--Anne

8 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

This is very exciting, Anne, sharing your birthday with a mighty thunderbird! Have fun and enjoy your pact and interaction with the Condor! Looking forward to hearing all about it on your return.

e said...

Wow! Great fun! Bring plenty of raw meat!!!

anne marie in philly said...

oooooooooooooooooh, pix please!

Janie Junebug said...

He's two months younger than I am. Happy birthday to your friend.

Love,
Janie

Anonymous said...

Saturday is our birthday too. (My spouse and I were born on the same day.) I hope your pact to help him live another ten years works.
--Kim Cooper

Ol'Buzzard said...

I hate seeing animals in captivity; but if species are to survive that is where we are. Good for you and good luck
enjoy
the Ol'Buzzard

yellowdoggranny said...

take lots of pictures

Bohemian said...

Vultures are Magnificent Creatures, we're so fortunate to have many Wild Turkey Vultures here in the AZ Desert. I have never, however, seen a Condor in the Wild, this might not be their Native Habitat... and I wonder how endangered they still might be? What a Wonderful experience to meet the Sacred Thunderbird in person!