Sunday, March 10, 2013

International Goddess Day

Oh, what a beautiful morning, with just a hint of spring in the air! The sun is shining, and the birds are beginning to peep out their love songs. And I, dear readers, am another 365 days older. I feel good, though. The secret to long life is to never act your age.

I'm hearing some rumblings about International Women's Day. Why stop at mortals? Let's call it International Goddess Day!
Recognizing that human beings perceive Higher Powers to have human forms and traits, it really amazes me that so many world religions hinge on male-only deities. The Divine Male is great, don't get me wrong, but at the very least He ought to share His seat with a Divine Female who is His equal.

Having been present at some really contentious D.A.R. meetings, where shrill blue-haired ladies hotly debated the disposition of valuable China plates, I can't say for sure that matriarchal rule in the apparent world would be any better than patriarchy. We don't really have a modern model (at least that I know of), because even where great women are elected to high office, the prevailing government is male-dominated.

The bored Goddesses we know anything specific about don't give us much clue, either. Some are gentle and nurturing, some are powerful and war-like, some are cunning, and some are sexy. Oh, there go those human traits again!

Speaking only for myself, I had no religious role model growing up. Protestants don't give the time of day to the Blessed Mother. It was only after I married a lapsed Catholic and heard his mother and grandmother praying that the idea of Divine Female even occurred to me. But that's how I began my search for the bored gods -- by looking for the Divine Female. What a joy to find so many, both named and nameless, stretching into the very dawn of our species!

Set aside an offering for your Goddess today. Help Her to be less bored. I'll handle all the Unknown Goddesses on this end. All hail each and every one of them, so might it be.

Image: http://www.unicorngarden.com

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Is your reference to being another 365 days older mean that today is your birthday? Woo hoo! Have a great day, Anne!

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a happy Birthday.

Aquila ka Hecate said...

Happy! Birthday!

Love,

Terri in Joburg