Friday, January 07, 2022

My Case of COVID is Postponed

 Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored!" I'm Anne Johnson, working at home again until January 18. Because flattening the curve has been so very successful in the US of A.

Well, maybe it will be this time. But my guess is that I will return to school on January 18 to a miasma (great word) of Omicron variant and no N95 mask for my mug.

I do have the paper mask I wore at the Mummers Parade, and lots of microfiber cloth masks. I'll double up.

Yesterday, January 6, there was a lot of hoo hah about the riot at the Capitol last year. CNN and MSNBC have been harping on this event nonstop for 365 days, so it's not surprising they were slobbering all over the anniversary.

Here is my two cents on that awful event:

1. This was not a well-organized, well-planned attempt to instigate a coup d'etat. This was a rabble of stupid white men (mostly), many of them liquored up*, all of them fired up by the hateful rhetoric of the person who was president at the time.

2. These people had been encouraged not just by the former president, but also by his "superstar" propagandists, to expect "something big," or to cause it to happen. It happened organically, maybe driven by a few individuals who weren't drunk and had read Crowds and Power by Elias Canetti ... oh wait. A few individuals who felt like they could get something going and weren't drunk.

3. The most despicable piece of this is the recent news that the former president sat in a White House dining area and watched with glee while the attack was occurring. Sat there, apparently re-ran parts of it, and refused to speak against it even when begged to by the superstar propagandists.

4. The even more than most despicable piece of this is that the entire elected Republican party, except for two members, has made peace with all the lies, deceit, and violence behind that day. Some of them even say the thing was a false flag, or a happy tourist romp, or no big deal -- let's move on. Elected Republicans don't believe this bullshit. They're just too craven to tell the truth.

5. Liz Cheney loses nothing by losing her seat in Congress. Her father is richer than God, and she'll be all over CNN and MSNBC even though her conservative bona fides should put her under a general gag order. And while I'm ranting, have you noticed that Wyoming has two Senators and one Congresswoman? Tell me why Wyoming should have that much senatorial power. I'll wait.

6. The liberal news media is beating 1/6 to death. By the crucial election next November, people will be sick of hearing about it. So shut up, already. We've seen the footage. Let it marinate until election season instead of re-running it every night. Here's a tip: Talk about how efforts to unionize are meeting with success. That would be refreshing.


*My evidence for the drinking is this: I have one Facebook friend who attended that debacle. When I saw her plans on her page, I started following her posts. And those planning to attend with her bragged not about bringing firearms, but about bringing Fireball. Which makes men mean, for sure.

9 comments:

Bob said...

Laid it out brilliantly!!!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The 24-hours news cycle beats EVERYTHING to death. They got an endless time slot to fill, goddammit! I long for the good old days when the 24-hour news cycle did not exist on TV.

jenmoon said...

Hey, a week or two delay is better than jack shit.

My school's now delayed until the end of January, thank goodness. Though they told me I still have to come in to do the mail :P

Anonymous said...

Well, nothing The Former Guy did was well organized. but I think some of the groups, maybe the Proud Boys or that type, were more organized than the rest of them. I'm glad they failed, for whatever reason.
Why have so many Americans fallen for this con-man?
--Kim Cooper

pam nash said...

Well said! People here are get sick left, right and upside down (of course they're not wearing masks, go figure). So, take care when you are among the masses there.

Bohemian said...

Omicron is bound to burn thru the Nation, we could all quadruple Mask now and not stop it, but it's so transmissible that I'm concerned for the very Young who can't be Vaxxed. I already lost one Great-Grandchild to COVID and most of my other Great-Grands aren't over 5 and one Granddaughter is Preggy again so I do fret over how they'll possibly be able to keep the wee ones Safe enough with all this rampant Covidiocy and mutation of variant after variant. As for Jan 6th, we all saw it and know what it was... giving that ilk time to be more organized and less drunk is what we should be concerned about now... they have not gone away, just sobered up... well... mebbe some of them.

Ol'Buzzard said...

Do you really want to forget that one year ago there was an attempt to overthrow the government of the United States to install a dictator? These people are still out there. They are dangerous. Forty percent of the American public is ok with anarchy. This is the way democracies die. You, of all people, have marched in protest that pale compared to 1/6. We need your continued voice to denounce this atrocity and not let it die. I always look at you as a firebrand. I know the pandemic has worn everyone down, and especially teachers. The pandemic will pass; but if we lose our democracy we will never get it back.
Vladimir Lenin prophesied this - The United States, the last bastion of capitalism, will fall from within, without a shot being fired.
It will happen with apathy.
the Ol'Buzzard

yellowdoggranny said...

what pisses me off is the media gave trump a walk on every fucking thing he did and then turn around and act like Biden is asleep in the oval office..arghghghghhg
why don't you have masks?

Anne Johnson said...

Ol' Buzzard, you are damn right, and I am going to retract this post shortly.

Gran, we have masks. We also have teenagers. The two do not mix.