Thursday, September 02, 2021

Scary

 The remnants of Hurricane Ida passed through New Jersey last night. A tornado spawned in South Jersey and stayed on the ground through fully half of the state -- about 90 miles. It came within five miles of my house.

We get hurricanes all the time, and they wreak havoc. But this was different. Some areas got 10 inches of rain. Houses were demolished, tornado-style. This was not a typical New Jersey hurricane.

Such weather events used to be quite rare, but this is the second year in a row that we have had a damaging hurricane during season. Both names began with "I."

When I was growing up, I don't think I ever saw a hurricane that began with "I."

I also didn't think I would see Roe v. Wade overturned and Jim Crow voting practices reinstated. America is moving backwards in everything but overall temperature.

Gods help us all.

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Glad you're safe so far.

pam nash said...

Tornados are very scary things. Glad to know you were not in the path. Yes, the world get to be more frightening. For the first time ever, I am ashamed to say I'm from TX.

Bob said...

Good that you're safe.
They forecast a lot of rain for us in SC but, while we got one good soaking, it was pretty much a non-starter.

e said...

We've broken the weather. And now we are breaking our democracy. Sad and ugly days in this country.

Bohemian said...

So glad you averted disaster with the climate change weather crisis creating so many catastrophic events Globally. I do think America is in reverse with people backsliding to ridiculously archaic behaviors they should have evolved past a long time ago. Half the West Coast is on Fire now and a mixture of sustained Drought followed by torrential Rains causing Floods, both extremes creating devastation. The Daughter who lives in Pennsylvania said they had Tornados and the Daughter who lives in Mexico said they had Hurricanes... that along with the Pandemic is really scary stuff, isn't it?