Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Hubris Run Amok

 I know I'm a bad person. I know I have a wicked side. I know I have the capacity to take others' suffering lightly, if I feel the suffering to be a matter of hubris. I've got a cold streak. I don't suffer fools.

Years and years ago, when Mr. J and I first moved to Haterfield, one of his journalist colleagues dropped by to say hello. At that time dear Decibel the Parrot was just a young stripling, but he had already learned how to shred skin on fingers with his big ol' beak.

Mr. J's colleague asked me, "Does your bird bite?"

"Oh yes," I replied.

Not even lying, the dude walked over to the cage and stuck his finger in. Decibel lived up to his reputation and bit the guy to the quick.

I could not help but laugh at that fellow. Hubris! It's a bitch.

Well, readers, that bitch hubris is having a whopper of a romp these days, and the Internet is a perfect park for a romp.

Here for your perusal is a website, Sorry, Antivaxxer. On this site, an enterprising hubris hunter has compiled a list of names and photos of people who loudly spurned the COVID vaccine and then succumbed to the disease.

My friends, you are entitled to your bodily autonomy, and you have the right to refuse a vaccine. But if you openly ridicule the vaccine and the people who take it, and then you get the illness and die of it, you sadly deserve a heaping helping of derision.

I feel sorry for people who quietly decide not to take the COVID vaccine, and then get the illness. But I have no qualms about "Sorry, Antivaxxer." Some book I might have read somewhere says, "As you sow, so shall you reap." And if you sow disinformation, if you make light of a deadly illness, if you belittle people who don't think the way you do, well then. Your reap may be done by the Grim Reaper.

Again, just to be clear, I do have sympathy for people who contract severe COVID after avoiding the vaccine. But my sympathy ends abruptly for the vocal, sarcastic anti-vaxxers who loudly seek to convince people not to protect themselves.

You've got to wonder, too, about the people who ingest medication used to de-worm horses in an effort to prevent or treat COVID. What are people thinking? I don't use Gamma Cat's flea medicine to treat my earaches.

Okay, it's not very Christian of me to lack sympathy for certain people. But hey! I'm not a Christian! I don't have to feel sorry for those who wallow in hubris and then inherit the wind. What a relief!


5 comments:

jenmoon said...

With you there. They're doing it to themselves.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Apparently there are anti-vaxxers here in Edmonton who, after catching covid, ending up in the hospital/ICU, having their lives saved by our overstretched healthcare personnel, then leave hospital yelling and cursing at them for trying to murder them by "giving them" covid, which of course they "did not have" when first admitted to hospital unable to breathe. I'm sure these asshats are not unique to Alberta.

Bohemian said...

Dead from hubris... so preventable, yet, here we are! Some Gene Pools are going to be doomed by their own intentional ignorance and Natural Selection eliminating them swiftly and without Mercy. Mother Nature doesn't suffer Fools either. You know, even Animals know not to have the most stupid lead them... yet so many of these Humans chose Leaders who led them to their doom, even while good information and Truth was readily available. You can't fix Stupid and those who are on a Path to self destruction sadly will take others with them by infecting people who really are trying to take intelligent precautions.

e said...

Bonus: Fewer of them voting.

yellowdoggranny said...

as my dear sweet departed mother would say? ....fuck'em all but six and save the for pall bearers..