Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored," 14 years and counting, your destination for Pagan humor! With more than a little politics stirred in for good measure.
The death of David Koch, pictured below, has prompted me to be a bit philosophical today.
EXHIBIT A: DAVID KOCH
One of the things I have learned in a long life is, don't rejoice in the death of your enemies. They manage to live on in all their malevolence. (I learned this upon the passing of Antonin Scalia.)
That's not all I've learned, though. Here's a helpful list for you striplings. Free advice, so to speak.
1. I've learned that plum tomatoes make the best sauce.
2. I've learned that there are jobs where the paycheck is secondary to the enjoyment of the work. These jobs are rare.
3. I've learned that first impressions can be horribly off the mark. Don't make snap decisions about people.
4. I've learned three Walt Whitman poems by heart. Oh, wait. That's bragging, not advice.
5. I've learned that if you want to make an outdoor shrine or worship area, look for images of shrines to the Virgin Mary. They can be adapted.
6. I've learned that Calomine lotion and an oral antihistamine can help with poison ivy infections. In my last three outbreaks I haven't needed to go to the doctor.
7. I've learned that wild coincidences happen with enough frequency that they call into question the strict scientific worldview.
8. I've learned it's ridiculous to think humans are superior to cats. When was the last time your cat fed you and cleaned your bathroom?
9. I've learned that when you start talking about all you've learned, and how different the world is now than it was when you were a kid, people stop listening to you ... and I can't blame them.
So, go forth, striplings, with your toolkit enlarged by this essential wisdom!
Oh, and one more thing of immense importance:
10. Upholstery should be professionally cleaned once a year. Don't try to do it yourself.