Wednesday, August 07, 2019

In Which I Sternly Reprimand My Deceased Ancestors

Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored!" In Goddess We Trust! They should put that on money, along with Sojourner Truth.

You would hardly know this is a Pagan website these days, but it still is. If anything, the current state of our nation has entrenched me deeper with the Gods, Nature Spirits, and Ancestors.

It is the latter that I communicated with a few days ago. It wasn't pretty.

It's not often I get to the county where my mother's people resided and are interred. Usually I biff right past it on my way to my dad's county deep in the mountains. But Monday morning found me in Mom's neck of the woods, after having seen my sister play a concert with the municipal band.

I regularly visit and venerate my Johnson ancestors, as they were tough, resilient, Grand Army of the Republic slavery-haters. And supremely loving and wonderful folks as well.

Mom's family, beginning with Mom and going back through time, were racist, Confederacy-loving slave-owners with money but no scruples. Nevertheless, I purchased some shiny stones from Michael's and went to decorate their graves. (Shiny stones are better than flowers. They last longer and are pleasing to the Nature Spirits.)

My first stop was the cemetery where my great-grandmother, grandmother, and parents are buried. It is locally known as Rose Hill Cemetery, but it was created to inter the Confederate soldiers who perished at the battles of Antietam and South Mountain. Said soldiers were dug up from their mass graves on the battlefields by a wealthy local asshole landowner, and re-interred in a new, prominent spot in my home town.

EXHIBIT A: THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS, AKA ROSE HILL CEMETERY


Once this monument to white supremacy was established, all the area's families that had owned slaves promptly bought plots there. Hence three generations of my kin, including -- to my chagrin -- my dad.

First I went to my parents' grave. As I recalled it, they had those little markers on the ground with name and birth/death date. Imagine my surprise to find a big-ass gravestone that had to cost a pretty penny! After texting my sister, I found that my dad had ordered it after my mother died. I guess the carvers didn't get around to making it until a few years after Dad's death. It took me aback. During his lifetime, I couldn't get my father to buy a decent suit to wear to church. And here was many thousands of dollars worth of neglected gravestone, already dirty. (Sis never visits.) I put some shiny stones on it, shaking my head. I would have been glad to clean my parents' house while they were alive, but keeping their expensive headstone grime-free is not on my bucket list.

I didn't scold my parents, grandmother, or great-grandmother. (The latter two are buried nearby.) But when I got to the older churchyard further out in the country, I took the people there to task. If only the stones heard me, maybe that's a good thing.

EXHIBIT B: GREAT GRANDFATHER


These are the generations that actively owned slaves. In particular need of a stern rebuke is this couple:

EXHIBIT C: FOR SHAME!


John Brinham supervised the smelting of iron on South Mountain, which depended upon the labor of more than 300 slaves. A researcher of color did her master's thesis on the conditions of this labor, and it was horrible. I won't even go into detail, I'm so mortified by it. Nor is Mary Hanna off the hook, because her father owned people too and even doled her out a few to run her household and care for her children. (I think my rich aunt must have erected this stone, it looks to be so modern in aspect.)

Here's what I told the ancestors:

"Well, y'all, I'm not gonna lie. I'm ashamed of you. But you gave me life, and as luck would have it, I have been given an opportunity to teach children of color in a fine school. I can't hope to work off all your bad karma in just 20 years, but maybe if I help enough minority students it will mitigate the considerable damage you did over generations."

With that I scattered the obligatory stones, took some establishing shots of the stones' locations, and hoofed it on out of there, wishing desperately that I was treading the familiar turf of Dad's people's graveyards.

We venerate our ancestors for giving us life, but if they don't otherwise deserve veneration, we should be morally obliged to compensate for their bad behavior, if possible. I haven't the financial means to seek out descendants of my ancestors' slaves and offer reparations, but I really try to be a good teacher and help my students prepare for a world in which, although they are not enslaved, they still face momentous obstacles to success and safety.

It's important to know who your ancestors were and what they did with their lives. You might need to do some work for them in the apparent world.

And then there are the stone-cold idiots who are actually undermining the good deeds of their ancestors. Here I am talking about the scum of the Earth bad people who fly Rebel flags, not knowing that their forebears fought and died with the Union Army. You see this shit throughout Pennsylvania and northern New Jersey. It's a disgrace.

So at least I know what my people did. And in the peaceful moments at my outdoor shrine, I never seek to talk to them. I do think about them, though, and often. Especially after a hard day at school. Especially then.

6 comments:

e said...

I'd be hard pressed to find a cemetery housing the remains of my forebears. My maternal grandfather is buried somewhere in Ohio but he specifically requested that the family not waste money on a fancy headstone. Many more have been cremated, including my beloved mother whose ashes sit in a cardboard box on an end table in my father's living room.

The one good thing I can say about my mother's people is that they were instrumental in helping establish the mine workers union. I don't know about my cousins, but I suspect that some of them are dumb enough to be supporters of the orange menace. I stopped using FB so that I wouldn't have to find out.

anne marie in philly said...

I know where both sets of my grandparents are buried, but I never go there. I don't care about my father's parents, and my mother's parents live in my spirit. teach those young POC well, anne. they are our future.

Anonymous said...

Rodger C said: If they were that hot on the Confederacy, I wonder why they didn't call Antietam "Sharpsburg."

Janie Junebug said...

Graves mystify me, especially those of my parents. They were cremated and then had their ashes placed in urns and the urns were buried in a cemetery. No one lives in the city where the ashes are buried. Even if I lived there, I don't think I'd go to visit a couple of urns and some ashes buried in the ground. My daughter did some genealogical research several years ago. I was pleased to learn that an ancestor fought for the Union. I'm sure I have some ancestors who would bring me shame if I knew more about them, but sometimes not knowing is easier.

Love,
Janie

Ol'Buzzard said...

We carry no guilt for the acts and beliefs of our ancestors. Different times, different places, different mores, different accepted values...

My grandmother's uncle was in the Klan and that family generation the forties and fifties in Mississippi were proud of it. I have great-great-grandparents that fought of both sides of the Civil War.

Are there atrocities throughout history? Yes, the human race is an atrocious animal.

Rather than mire ourselves in judgement of the past with today' hindsight, we should only judge the actions of the people of today. Our generations will not be found faultless by generations of the future.

the Ol'Buzzard

yellowdoggranny said...

I give the Goddess something shiny for you and your family ..all the time..