Sunday, February 21, 2021

Buy Bins or Barrels

 Hello and welcome to "The Gods Are Bored," natural disaster edition! I'm your host, Anne Johnson, and today (for once) I'm going to be serious.

When the forecasters began to predict Hurricane Sandy in 2012, I did something that caused no end of derision within my household: I emptied all the bins of fairy costumes and Christmas ornaments and school mementos, and I put all the empty bins out in the back yard, topless.

When the storm clouds gathered and the wind picked up, I filled the bathtub and the washing machine to the tip top, and I filled every large pot to the brim with water. I used the hose to fill the bins.

And oh, was I ever disrespected for it! Mr. J and The Fair thought I was being alarmist and ridiculous.

Hurricane Sandy made landfall on Samhain and wiped out power for 8.7 million East Coasters. A cold front came after the storm (really cold). Some people were without power for a month. A colleague of mine lost her whole house to the ravenous waves.

Turns out I didn't need all that water I poured in the bins and pots. But what if I had needed water?

Water is taken for granted in most of America. You turn on the tap, and out it comes. You flush the john, and off goes the waste. You jump in the shower, and voila! Minty fresh!

But what happens if your water supply is cut off? I mean, open the tap and nothing comes out? This could happen anywhere.

Even with low-flow toilets, you need about two gallons of water to flush. This was what I had in mind when I filled all those bins. Three people were living in my house during Hurricane Sandy, and I would need to flush the toilet at least once a day. Even my meager math skills were sufficient to see how much water we would need.

And then there's tooth-brushing, and minimal washing, and just plain old drinking.

Humans can survive a few weeks without heat or food, but nobody's gonna go that long without drinking water. And let me tell you from experience: Life with a restricted water supply is really, really different than what we take for granted here in the USA.

Call me paranoid or alarmist if you like, but I know the location of every spring in my vicinity, the flow of the spring, and ease with which I could fill water vessels from its banks. I hope I never have to put this knowledge to the test, but maybe I will. Gods know I won't give myself much of a chance of survival if I have to drink New Jersey spring water straight from the ground, but I sure could flush a toilet with it, or boil it, or just take a leap of faith and drink it.

My free advice to you, valued reader, is this: When a weather forecast is very dire, and the worlds "widespread power outages" are used, that's the time when you should get out your bins and your pots, and fill your tub and your washing machine. It's even better if you have a rain barrel or a few trash cans that are on the clean side. What harm does it cause if you fill up all those vessels against a dire emergency?

If you live in a relatively moist area (like New Jersey), take a look around your basic neighborhood, within walking distance. Is there a water source? How clean is it? Could you carry water back from it to flush your crapper? These are things you should consider.

This preparation won't keep you from having to stand in line for bottled water, but it will be very helpful in keeping yourself and your bathroom clean.

As long as we're on the subject, latrine pits can be dug if the ground isn't frozen. Not pleasant to contemplate, but hey. Our ancestors survived it. Heck, I survived it.

Water is more valuable than petroleum, diamonds, sportscars, and mansions. Make sure you're prepared in an emergency. If you don't have bins full of fairy costumes and Christmas ornaments, go out and buy a few. Bins, that is ... not fairy costumes. It's no skin off your nose if you find yourself with a well-watered lawn in the wake of a disaster. But it could be quite dire to find yourself waterless while everyone else around you is waterless too.

This advice is offered free of charge, because you are all such wonderful people! Peace out.

7 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

you are not crazy at all. I have a blog friend in houston who lost water for 4 days. he had drinking water (bottle cooler delivery); to flush the toilet, he used water from his condo's pool. this event emphasized to him he needs to fill the bathtub when bad weather is forecast.

Teacats said...

Former Canucks here in Texas -- filled the bathtub and numerous plastic bowls plus every glass in the house with water. Looked like we having a party!

Kept the water tap in my bathroom sink running a small stream (both hot and cold taps slightly open) A plumber on local news said that the normal "drip" wasn't enough -- the stream of water from the taps had to be the size of a piece of angel hair pasta!

Flushed toilet regularly!

Kept a small space heater running on low in the garage. Thats where our hot water heater lives -- as it does in so many places here with no basements!

Only lost power for a short amount of time -- but had every flashlight at hand -- with fresh batteries!! Had flashlights at strategic points throughout the house.

Yes. Stocked up with batteries, water, bread and other bits and pieces when we heard about the Polar Vortex rushing south.

Amazing how many folks on TV said they did not have a hand-operated can opener!! Personally, I plan to stock up on thermos of every size. Got rid of those last year.

Hopefully, folks learn -- both from the short supplies during the pandemic and this winter storm(s) -- and we have the spring storms (and possible tornadoes) to go through.

Please -- if possible -- consider writing about the incredible need to stock up and be prepared -- so helpful for folks who still believe that the government, charities or the calvary will ride in to save them. Too many folks have watched too many disaster movies!!

yellowdoggranny said...

you as always are right..

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Good advice, Anne!

e said...

Great advice and people would do well to heed it.
I've lived completely off grid and had to carry water in to the shack. It really gives a person an appreciation for how much water is necessary for life. Of course, we had an outhouse, so there was no flushing involved, but simple water consumption is critical for living. (Also, wind up flashlights and radio are worth the price.)

Janie Junebug said...

Filling the washing machine never occurred to me. I read once that if your power goes out and you want to keep some food and drinks cold, put them in the washer and dump the contents of your ice maker in. Now that I'm in Florida, when I hear about a severe storm, I fill every pitcher and bowl in my house with water. I need to get a plug for my bathtub so I can start filling it with water, too. What Texas has experienced has me thinking.

Love,
Janie

Bohemian said...

Living in a Desert, we take Water seriously.