Friday, December 04, 2020

The Wazoo's Gambit

 Some day, 300 years from now, an earnest young researcher will go to the Smithsonian Institution and ask, "Do you have any primary source material from suburban white women in the early 21st century?" And the curator will look at the researcher with a vacant expression and say, "I don't know. Have you read Joyce Carol Oates?"

In the meantime, this fabulous blog, containing events big and small for more than 15 years, will be relegated to the landfill of American history. I tell you, I'm still peeved about it.

Take this week's adventure, for instance. It is:

a) pandemic related

b) reflective of middle class liberal female values, and

c) a subtle statement on the consumer economy.

You would think the Smithsonian would eat this stuff with a fork and spoon.

Oh well, pish tosh as I always say. Let me tell you about the Gambit that kept me from losing my online teacher mind this week.


Thanksgiving has come and gone, and Yule looms with the same horrible restrictions. The various citizens-at-large of Johnsonia already know that there will be no gathering for Yule. Household members only.

With that in mind, I set out to deck the halls with my usual holiday trappings. Except I couldn't haul them from the basement. Everything brought back memories of non-pandemic times. "I'll only be more depressed if I look at this stuff for a month," I said to no one in particular.

What I needed was some basic new stuff, a few candle holders for the mantelpiece. I could see in my mind exactly what I wanted -- tea light holders like they have in abundance at the thrift store. Trouble is, the thrift store is always crowded, and it's in a former factory that has zero ventilation. I haven't been there since August.

I started shopping online. I looked at JoAnn Fabrics, Ross, Macy's, Target, Marshall's, Williams Sonoma, and Lowe's. Not finding anything, I turned to Etsy. This is where I picked up the term "crackle glass." They have 22,000 Christmas candle holders for sale. And nothing is cheap.

All the while, the little voice in my head was saying, "You know you can get these at the thrift store, right?"

But I resisted. My county is a hot spot. It's irresponsible to put one's life at risk for a candle holder.

Never underestimate the fallout from a bad day in the teacher trenches, though. After receiving a spectacularly lackluster score on an observation that lasted 20 minutes, I pretty much decided what the heck. After school I got in my car and drove to the thrift store.

I strode in. As I knew it would be, all the holiday swag was right in the front of the store. Bip Bip Bip, I picked up 3 candle holders (just what I wanted), a package of tapers, a fake poinsettia, and -- on my way to check out -- an ugly Christmas sweater for the ages. Fifteen bucks, and I was back in my Subaru in less than 10 minutes.

That was three days ago, and I don't feel like I caught COVID 19. In fact, every time I look at my mantelpiece, I feel damned good!

The moral of this Gambit is, when one feels underappreciated one tends to throw caution to the wind. But one doesn't really throw, one tosses lightly. No harm is done, no furniture is stained, and there are tea light holders to boot.

How's the case count where you live?

10 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

climbing in montco; spouse and I are staying safe. only go out to the grocery store.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

My province of Alberta is one of the main hotspots of Canada right now. Our right-wing Premier is only giving lip service to restrictions, so community spread is increasing exponentially. His political base all worship at the altar of Trump.

jenmoon said...

Same as everyone else's. I feel you on the "I could get this down the street for super cheap, but....pandemic." This is why I ended up ordering picture frames on Amazon to send to my mom and then I will mail her what goes in it later. This is also why I spent $15 on shipping to order $4 calendars from Hawaii that I normally get for $8 at a Hawaiian craft fair that for obvious reasons didn't happen this year.

Philfff said...

Je suis passé par votre blog par hasard et cela m'a bien fait rire, sans que vous ne me passiez le virus certainement attrapé du faux poinsettia ! en France nous commençons à peine à sortir d'un deuxième confinement, mais s'il m'a couté en solitude sociale, il m'a cependant pas fait dépenser un Euro, donc aussitôt que je peux je cours vider mes poches pleines de pièces d'or dans les boutiques pour les cadeaux ! Gardez le moral et portez vous bien. Un passant.

Anne Johnson said...

Over 20,000 comments on this blog, first one in French. C'est magnifique!

Laura said...

i think the counts are steadily rising in my area. i'm not really keeping track anymore. i stay home as much as possible. i have a serious need for a desk and really want to hit up the old junk/thrift/antique stores, but am terrified of getting sick! i'm reduced to searching fb marketplace. :-(

shame on the smithsonian! you're blog is outstanding and should live on into the annals of history!
love, kisses & magical wishes...
~*~

Janie Junebug said...

The case count is at Nasty Level. Fortunately, I have all kinds of candle holders, so I'm going to get out a tea light and set the place on fire to show what a happy mood I'm in over people who won't wear masks and say they won't get the vaccine.

Love,
Janie

yellowdoggranny said...

our mayor who refuses to MAKE citizens of West wear masks is in the hospital with covid..I'm so tempted to call him and laugh hysterically and hang up..but he'd know it was me..damn my voice..stay safe my friend..

e said...

Case counts high and rising here in the West. No surprise there.
I admire your bravery in blasting through the thrift store. I hate online shopping so mostly I'm just doing without.

Hang in there, Grand Wazoo!

(Stupid Smithsonian. Missing a real gem.)

Nan said...

Case count is climbing here. County is rife with Trumpers who refuse to wear masks at the same time old people are dropping like the proverbial flies. Local nursing home had 13 deaths in less than a week right after Thanksgiving. Had to come in with a staff person because they've had the place pretty thoroughly closed off since last spring.