Saturday, September 05, 2020

Pandemic Jean Jacket Done!

 I should have been out walking. I should have been working on my memoir. Instead I slid into the comfort of cross stitch, a talent my dear grandmother gave me back in the 1970s.

Mr. J gave me a jean jacket for my birthday. A nice one. And then, just a week afterward, we were in lockdown.

So I went to work.

EXHIBIT A: GRITTY IS THE CENTERPIECE

I actually got permission to use this design from its creator.


It says "No Grit No Glory." The green strip just above the bottom is my name, with a snowflake. More about the Phoenix in a moment.

After I finished Gritty, I thought, "It would be really cool to make this jacket monster-themed." And that's what I did.

EXHIBIT B: RAT FINK


I'll bet some of y'all remember this hot rod mascot from the 1960s. This is an iron-on patch, and I must say they adhere better than they did in the past. Technology isn't totally a waste. To the left of Rat Fink you'll see more snowflakes. They are buttons I sewed down the front.

EXHIBIT C: PHOENIX


Iron on patches are kind of cheating, but I could never have done this amazing Phoenix on my own, on a jean jacket. I have plans to add some words above it, but other projects come first.

EXHIBIT D: MOTHMAN

I really enjoyed working on Mothman. Above him is my WVresist button I got from the Women's March on Washington and my "My Heart, My Soul, and My Grave Are In Appalachia" pin. Under the arm is a pin that says "Tax the Rich."

EXHIBIT E: MURDER HORNET AND CTHULHU



My daughter The Heir drew the murder hornet. It is straight-up embroidery. Above it is a pin featuring Otter the River God (long story), and a Jersey Fresh pin. Cthulhu is a patch. And I've never been able to spell his name without looking it up.


EXHIBIT F:  FRONT OVERALL



So this jawn has pins and more pins on it. In no particular order, Union Yes, NJEA PAC, BLACK LIVES MATTER, SEPARATE CHURCH AND STATE, and the others previously mentioned.

When my daughter The Fair was snapping these photos, we totally forgot to take a picture of the Flying Spaghetti Monster patch I sewed on the back at the top.


There's one last monster, and it's the absolute worst of all.

EXHIBIT H: HORRIBLE MONSTER




This says, and I quote, "Any protesters, anarchists, agitators, losers or lowlifes who are going to OKLAHOMA please understand you will not be treated like you have been in NEW YORK, SEATTLE, or MINNEAPOLIS. It will be a MUCH DIFFERENT SCENE."

Followed by the monster's name, the date, and #notmypresident.

Counted cross stitch and embroidery had gone by the wayside, being considered an obsolete granny-driven art form based on platitudes and pretty flowers. But a new generation has taken it up and given it a whole new direction. I'm so glad, because it never would have occurred to me to bend such a floofy hobby to novel ends.

I haven't done this one myself yet, but it's on the radar. Don't you love it?


And fuck the Smithsonian Institution too. To me this post screams "pandemic diary."

8 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Your jean jacket is SO AWESOME!!!!

The Murder Hornet and Gritty are my faves of all your wonderful patches and embroidery. I must commend you for embroidering on denim because it is not easy to get the needles repeatedly through that thick fabric, I know! A million years ago when I just started university, I embroidered floral designs on my jeans (VERY fashionable at the time) and man, it did a number on my poor fingers!

I have some unfinished cross-stitch projects from 30 years ago that I intend to complete, perhaps this winter? We'll see.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I did a post on subversive feminist craftivism a couple of years ago -- thought you might enjoy it!

https://shewhoseeks.blogspot.com/2018/01/maybe-ill-take-up-needlework-again.html

anne marie in philly said...

WOW! HELLO GORGEOUS! you certainly have a talent there!

jenmoon said...

This is amazing and I love it and I totally agree on this being pandemic diary worthy and fuck the Smithsonian, indeed. They should want this work of art.

Also, yeah, embroidery on a jean jacket is HARD! I have my own version of jean jacket patch adding I haven't worked on this year (guess why) and just getting the patches sewn on is hard enough!

CraveCute said...

That jacket is a true work of art! I also love the kitty cross-stitch.

yellowdoggranny said...

oh I love this so much..I used to embroidery a lot back in the day..might take it up again..once my eyes quit watering ..not sure they did such a great job on my eyes..I also have some political buttons for you..

e said...

Your jean jacket is a triumph! It's a wearable protest! And, it's beautiful. What the hell, Smithsonian? This woman has her finger on the pulse of America! Don't you recognize value and folk art and protest art and literature and epistolary writing??? Bah!

Maebius said...

I. Love. It!!