Friday, June 05, 2020

Requiem for My Ancient Black Oak

Please do not think I am a vain, self-centered Karen. I hope y'all know me better than that. Because I know what's going on in the news, and I care. But I've taken an existential shock of a different kind.

On Wednesday, June 3 I went in a bus with three other teachers to deliver gift bags and "Class of 2020" signs to 30 members of the Vo-Tech graduating class. Our bus route was entirely in Camden, and I knew about 20 of the 30 kids we feted. Two of them -- the first and the last -- were my favorite students from that year.

I'll have more to say about this experience at a later date.

While we were in Camden, I noticed an ominous black cloud to the west. It moved faster than any storm I have ever seen. And when it hit, it was like a hurricane. All celestial Hell broke loose.

Let's just say I was glad to be on something as sturdy as a school bus, parked by a field with no trees.

The storm passed as quickly as it came, and we actually went ahead and finished delivering our gifts.

While I was in Camden, the storm ripped through Haterfield. And it toppled the Black Oak where I have done my rituals. The tree was 350 years old. It was six feet in circumference. It demolished the house across the street, but miraculously the family living there had just come outside because a little girl was crying and scared of the storm.

How did I find out about this? Glad you asked. The shitty way. Thursday night I saw an off-hand message on a Facebook thread. It wasn't even directed at me. It said, "Did you see the big tree on Lake Street came down?"

It was dark when I read this, but that didn't matter. I leapt out of my chair and ran to Lake Street. And there, to my sorrow, lay my ritual Black Oak. I'm not ashamed to say I cried out loud.

EXHIBIT A: ANOTHER CASUALTY OF 2020


Well, as you can see, this tree was not as healthy as the borough inspectors claimed. But it's so massive that the borough will need to get a crane to lift it. It can't be sawed up.

I never walked past that tree that I didn't give it a little prayer. Part of that prayer was "may the wind and rain be with thee." Oops.

This morning, early, I went up to the site and did a requiem ritual for the tree. I mean, a whole ritual, not just a prayer.

The Haterfield Shade Tree Commission claimed that this tree was the second oldest Black Oak in New Jersey. It was standing on this spot when William Penn arrived in America. But it can't have been terribly healthy, that hollowed out with no root ball.

The people whose house it hit escaped with their lives. They will get a new house. But there will never be another ritual tree like this one for me. We go way back together. Family.


Oh, tree. Blessed be.

10 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

tree, you served the earth well. RIP.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm so sad to read this. But proud of you for doing a beautiful farewell requiem ritual for this ancient being.

Janie Junebug said...

Oh, wow. What a bummer. I don't get the Karen thing. I need to Google it. I've been seeing it around. Farewell, blessed tree.

Love,
Janie

Anonymous said...

Rodger C said...

I'm very sorry for your loss. How unpleasant it is to lose a shrine, especially unexpectedly. At least it didn't fall to human greed and stupidity. It looks as if it was ready for Her.

Speaking of trees, just yesterday evening I was passing a tree in the park near my new neighborhood, a large, interesting-looking old beech I've been honoring for a year or so, and I decided to walk around the side of it that isn't very convenient for an old guy to get to. It has an eye, 6"-8" wide, carved into it a good many years ago, and next to it is a big dead tree with the bottom 6 feet or so missing. This iss being held in place by the limbs of the beech tree. Well.

Bathwater said...

Man that is a huge tree. It looks like a cave opening.

yellowdoggranny said...

this makes me so sad..

e said...

I'm so sorry about your ritual tree friend. It's a hard loss. The oak lived a long life and while that doesn't eliminate your loss, I'm glad that it wasn't murdered in the name of 'progress'.
Maybe you can get a piece of a branch to put in your garden...

Moonroot said...

I'm so sorry to read this. What an amazing tree, what a huge loss.

Bohemian said...

So tragic when one of the Ancient ones goes down. We had a 350 year old Tamarack on a Historic Property we owned and when it took a lightening hit the City took it down without our consent, saying it had gotten too large and 'dangerous' for a Residential Neighborhood... I cried too.

Faith said...

Thank yyou for sharing this