Wednesday, December 14, 2016

I Love The Bard!

Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored," serving all bored deities who are lost to the mists of time! Modern isn't always better, you know.

Speaking of modern not being better ... is there anyone more fabulous than Shakespeare? I teach Romeo and Juliet every year, and 400 years down the line, it's still a fan favorite. My students love it.

Shakespeare has power by the hour, but he's also fine with a line. I was looking over some quotes the other day, and I found this one from Measure for Measure:

"But man, proud man,
Dress'd in a little brief authority,
Most ignorant of what he's most assured,
His glassy essence, like an angry ape,
Plays such fantastic tricks before high heaven
As make the angels weep."

By all the bored gods, Willie the Shake is KING. It will probably take me two days to memorize this.

8 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Man, it's like Billy Shakespeare was PSYCHIC! Lol, that's just a perfect quotation. They should read it at Trump's inauguration.

Debi said...

Better yet is " who really wrote those prose?" Mystery and intrigue forever! xo🙋👌🇨🇦

Jono said...

Billy sure could turn a phrase! Whilst in London a few years ago and walking along the Thames, I chanced to walk by the reconstructed Globe Theatre. I was already mouth agape from all I was seeing and was mostly just overwhelmed by it. All of a sudden my mind became cluttered with lines from the plays I remembered. It was a wonderfully strange experience.

Janie Junebug said...

[Life] is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury and signifying nothing.

Love,
Janie

Lucretia said...

Okay, now I am inspired to mangle The Bard's lines and form this description of someone I'm sure you will recognize:

"An angry idiot ape, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Would someone please pass the bananas...

Janie Junebug said...

I recognize the angry idiot ape. What a perfect appropriation of a quotation.

Love,
Janie

Lucretia said...

Thank you, Janie Junebug, glad you like it! :-)

yellowdoggranny said...

you can quote ole Bill for der Trump..I like to quote ole Jackiesue...'we're fucked.'