Saturday, February 25, 2012

Pagan Backyard Shrine

Day One of the stomach flu, I pretty much stayed on the couch watching t.v. After a day of that, having a job seemed like a great big blessing.

Day Two, I felt better. So I grabbed the Netbook and started messing around.

"The Gods Are Bored" is such a fabulous intellectual property that I thought I'd better secure its name elsewhere. So I fumbled through Tumblr and made one for "The Gods Are Bored." If you have a Tumblr, come and follow me! I'll be posting different stuff there from here ... but this blog will still be your central clearinghouse for all things bored god.

Day Three, it's cold as can be outside, but I took a minute to mess around with the camera in this Netbook. Voila! Here's my Shrine of the Mists, lieblings!
Okay, okay. It's not quite focused. Neither am I.

Most of the rocks on this shrine are from my former farm. I brought a few at a time every time I visited over the last 18 months. There's some Marcellus shale and some brachiopod fossils. Around the flat stone are landscaping pebbles, Marcellus shale,  sea glass, quartz crystals, marbles, various weird stones I've found, sea shells, and leaves from the surrounding trees. At night I put a single candle on the flat stone and shield it with a hurricane globe, but only if meteorological conditions are right. This is the place where I "All Hail" the very most ancient deities whose names have been lost to time.

Some nights I speak to the Green Man here. I have learned to be very careful what I say.

I went back and forth philosophically over whether to post pictures of my shrine, since it is such a personal thing. However, I have had many people ask me how to make one, and what it should look like. Well, here's what it looks like, and if I get enough comments, I'll write a post about how it was made.

Trust me, you can do this. I only worked as a stone mason for part of one summer. And that was a long, long time ago.

4 comments:

Lavanah said...

Thank you for satisfying my curiousity! I've been wondering what your shrine looked like. (and really, I also understand the hesitation when thinking about publishing a photo of it.)

yellowdoggranny said...

I want to make an altar for the indoors..and maybe put one on my porch..if I put it in the yard the maintenance man would mow over it.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh, I've been waiting so long for you to post a photo of your Shrine of the Mists! It's gorgeous. *sigh* And how wonderful and smart of you to have incorporated rocks and stones from your ancestral family farm. It makes the Shrine just that much more special.

Kathy said...

Beautiful and precious! I plan on working on my outdoor altar this summer but I wasn't quite sure exactly what to do. Thanks so much for sharing what I'm sure is very personal to you.