Thursday, February 09, 2012

Decibel Sings

Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored," praise and worship suggestions for No Child Left Behind! New Jersey has been released from NCLB ... I know not why. Since I get most of my classroom's books from NCLB (and since the vast majority of my students pass the demanding high school proficiency test), I'm not sure I'm happy about this. But anything that takes some heat off teachers should be warmly welcomed.

Teaching has been very hard on me. Sadly, it has been harder on Decibel the Parrot.

When I worked at home, I used to be around Decibel all day. Now there are days when I uncover Decibel's cage in the dark of the morning and don't return to her side until bedtime. She is alone, all alone, all day.

Matters have been worse since my desktop computer suffocated (under the weight of parrot dander). Now there's no reason to go into my home office at all, and that's where Decibel has located for the winter months. Her name is Decibel for a reason. She can be heard two blocks away when she gets heated up -- which is frequently.

Lately, when I have found a moment to grade papers or blog on my netbook alongside Decibel, we have been singing to each other. I sing. She mimics. It's adorable.

But I think it should be a swan song.

Unless I get a reprieve from my school teaching, Decibel will be doomed to near-solitary confinement for the next ten years. I wouldn't wish this on an enemy, let alone a poor little parrot.

I am seriously considering putting Decibel up for adoption at the local bird store. She would be "consignment," but I wouldn't want any money for her -- only a home where she could split the eardrums of her family and be around some hustle and bustle.

Decibel is very attached to met, but I am getting older, and she is still young. She bites, but I think that the right owner could get her back into pirate mode.

Just another cheerful thing for me to contemplate at this juncture in my life. When people speak of "empty nest syndrome," they don't usually think about pet birds. I'm thinking about it. For all her love of me, her vocabulary and occasional tunes, Decibel isn't living with the stimulus a parrot needs. It's hard to know what to do. She can speak, but she can't speak her mind.

7 comments:

Hecate Demetersdatter said...

I know that, whatever you do, it will be the right thing. Don't discount Decible's love for youl

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Would it help to leave a radio on in her room? I ask this, knowing nothing about parrots.

ladyimbrium said...

Poor Decible! I'm a parront myself- to a very young Quaker named Cory. Fortunately for both of us Cory is more than willing to spend his time playing with foraging toys or shredding whatever destroyable toys I give him. This is good since I work shiftwork and routinely get held for twelve hours or more at work. Does Decible like toys or the radio or food that takes a long time to eat? I'm sure you've already tried all kinds of things to keep the critter entertained. Since she is still sort of social and hasn't started any self-harming behavior it sounds like she's tolerating the loneliness so far. Not that we want our birds to be lonely if we can help it. Do the other folks in the house interact with her at all? I'd hate to see you give up a beloved parrot. I know you'll figure out the best thing to do.

BellaDonna said...

Any chance Decibel would be allowed to come to school with you? I know they allow "pets" in some elementary school classes (at least here in CA), but have no idea what your laws are there.

As the parent of eleven cats, I know how difficult some of these decisions can be. I'm sure you'll make the right one.

MN said...

Poor baby. Have you thought of putting on a TV in his room? Or a radio. Talk to other parrot lovers - there has to be something on line you can find. Don't give up on your noisy baby.

Anonymous said...

Could you handle another parrot? Maybe companionship of her own species would help? I don't know anything about parrots, but it's good for dogs....
--Kim

yellowdoggranny said...

Anissa and Inky have a macaw(Fugley) and a cockatoo(Willie) and they are the noisiest fuckers ever...but Fugley sings..loud and strong..and while he sings Willie laughs my laugh...Anissa called me the other day and let me listen..it was hysterical..too bad you don't live close..they would give him a great home.