Monday, April 25, 2011

The Odds Were One in Four

Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored!" Today I'm taking a little excursion to my family property on Polish Mountain, 312 Johnson Road to be exact. I dearly love that place and can't wait to get there.

I've been moaning and groaning here at this space for five years, so I guess one more piece of bitching won't send you packing.

Every year the Fairie Festival at Spoutwood has ceremonies at which are chosen the King and Queen of the May. This is a right and proper Celtic custom, like the Maypole.

This year's festival has a new Master of Ceremonies, and he has written an elaborate ceremony for the coronation. He attached the script to an email, in which he wrote: "We will be quoting from Taliesin, The Bible, Buddha, and (forget the other one)."

Before I even opened the attachment, I said to myself, "I just know I'm going to get the Bible."

Sure enough. Song of Solomon.

We at "The Gods Are Bored" praise and worship each and every bored deity who has ever had a population of faithful. The one deity we don't care to recognize is YHWH, because He's busy enough and never bored. It's a bitter pill I have to swallow to do this, but I'll do it. Not sure why the OT was tapped for this, I guess it's so that we are "inclusive."

But why me?

Excuse me while I wallow in self-pity (Not really, it's not that important and will be over in a second, like a flu shot ... oh, wait. Flu shots hurt for hours.)

Do you think they'll notice if I substitute "Song of Myself?" It's a song.

7 comments:

Maebius said...

Egads?!! I am all for broad-spectrum inclusions of spiritual paths and such, in a "generalized" term, but spoutwood has had it's own flavour of inclusiveness that AVOIDED specific mentions of texts and dogma, other than, as you mentioned, a tradition of crowning the May Royalty.

Why, this is exactly the sort of thing the folks with bullhorns along the roadside are complaining about!

*sighs* TI sense a great disturbance in the force. Even the old minister in me (yes, I can do weddings in PA) is not too happy about these changes...


Keep the spirituality, not the Religious, please??

Lori F - MN said...

Just remember some of the sexiest and graphic is in Solomon.
Do you get to choose the reading? I know there's something about 'grazing on your verdent mound'
Sexy enough?

Anne Johnson said...

I don't get to choose the reading. It's about herbs. I think I'll ... emmm ... rephrase it, and add Mugwort.

Lavanah said...

Song of Solomon (also known as Song of Songs and long predates the era of Solomon)is far older than any other section of the Tanach (sorry, my own upbringing will not allow me to refer to it as the Old Testament), and the entire thing is about sex, attraction and the Heiros Gamos. Read it out loud-it may not be Jabberwocky, but it will get the juices flowing-just ignore those men in the black cassocks!

(Song of Songs has always been part of my Purim/Spring Sex holyday readings, its that good.)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Lavanah makes a good point -- the Song of Solomon is an ancient, stand-alone poem. It just happens to also be anthologized with a bunch of other stuff.

Alex Pendragon said...

Instead, read "The Rhyme of the Ancient Marinade"....

Pom said...

I don't blame you for being upset but I also agree with Lavanah. Focus on the fertility aspect of the book and let the rest of the people decide for themselves what they want to focus on from the reading.