Monday, March 21, 2011

I've Got To Do ... WHAT????

Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored!" Boy, was I ever grumpy the night of that beautiful full moon! Well, I got over it, and went out in the lovely moonlight, and thanked the bored Goddess Luna for being so full so late. I might be wrong (probably am), but doesn't this make Easter as late as it ever can be?

Next to being Buzzy at the East Coast Vulture Festival, my second-favorite yearly role is co-leader (with Spare) of the Mountain Tribe at the Spoutwood Fairie Festival. This year will be our third anniversary of receiving this honor.

Ah, but there's always a catch. Right?

For our first two years, we Mountain Tribe maniacs only had to show up and act rowdy. This year the festival wants to expand the role of the Tribes.

And. That. Means. I. Have. To. Make. A. Fancy. Table.

So that visitors will know what the Mountain Tribe is, and whether or not they belong in it.

Those three of you who have read "The Gods Are Bored" these many years will recall that if hot glue guns are involved, Anne bows out. The very word "craft" makes me break out in hives. Just ask any church lady who ever asked me to make centerpieces for some churchy event. I'm sure my clueless crafting is still the talk of the Bible Circle.

This new Spoutwood challenge is not just some thing I can fudge, either. Some of the other Tribe leaders are professional artists who can hot-glue letters and flowers to a fabric sign from 50 yards away. I don't feel particularly competitive with them, but all the same, it will look pretty shabby if my table contains a TARDIS and little else.

Adding to this, Spare and I are not in agreement on what to do with the table. That's bound to happen when one leader is in her 50s and the other is 17. We do agree on a TARDIS. Beyond that we go our separate ways.

Life throws us these challenges, though, and one must sigh and rise to them. It's the burden of leadership, I guess.

Anyway, over the next week we'll be having a discussion here at "The Gods Are Bored" about the new, crafty, artistic, eye-popping, and otherwise fabulous Mountain Tribe table. Your input is desperately needed. Desperately. Needed. Think of your input as what it would take to talk Anne off the ledge of some high-rise building in Gotham City.

The Fairie Festival is April 29, 30, and May 1. If you have a vision, please share it. If you can make things like paper-mache mountains, I will be your slave until the end of time.

If the Second Amendment covered glue guns, I would be out there lobbying to have it removed from our Constitution. *sweaty palms* Oh! Glue guns! Calgon, take me away!

8 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Are there any other crafty Tribe members to whom this could be delegated? Or is this truly the burden of the Leader? If so, my sympathies.

Unknown said...

The first thing that popped into my head was to do lots of pictures. Pictures of your shrine, pictures from previous festivals. That picture of the tree with the carving in it (you posted it a while back I think). I might come up with more "artsy" things with more thought, but I'm an engineer and my brain doesn't naturally flow that way :P

The Traveler said...

oooh..I'm seeing hillbilly fairies hiding around your table and lot's of curvy swirly copper pipe in a still that shoots bubbles..

Alex Pendragon said...

Start with a continuous loop recording of "The Mountain of Love" by Johnny Rivers.....

M Pennanti said...

One of your problems *could* be your solution... The Spare has ideas. You don't want to touch a glue gun. Good leaders delegate! Give her the gun and a budget and wash your hands of it. :P

Anne Johnson said...

Thanks, M, that's what I'm going to do!

yellowdoggranny said...

let her do it all and next year she'll delegate

Rita said...

Pam and I (Her mother Rita) tend to be very crafty. How about a banner we can carry while parading around the farm and/or hang near the table. I envision a banner with a mountain in the background, adorned with crystals, the words "The Mountain Tribe" and a dragon. Contact Pam