Friday, January 19, 2018

Another March

My my, I do get my exercise! Another year, another march.

The good thing about being appointed president (rather than elected) is that no one knows what I look like. I'm therefore free to mingle with the citizenry. I will do so in Philadelphia at this year's Women's March.

Last year my daughter Gumby and I went to Washington, DC for the Women's March on Washington. Gumby put me through it, I tell you. She wasn't satisfied until we got all the way to the White House ... from RFK Stadium, a round trip of 8 or more miles.

EXHIBIT A: GUMBY AT THE WOMEN'S MARCH ON WASHINGTON, WHITE HOUSE


Learned my lesson, for sure! Can't keep up with Gumby! As I understand it, both of my daughters will be attending the march in Philly, but I'm not going with either one of them.

Instead, I will be joining a troupe called Drum Like a Lady . I am totally stoked. I can't decide whether or not to take my doumbek, but the tambourine is portable and can keep a heartbeat. Being part of the drum corps means I'll get a front seat at the speakers' podium.

I don't care about front seats, but drumming up some energy ... well, that's the ticket.

Judging by how many of my friends and acquaintances are attending this march (12 in rough count), it is going to be a vast throng of humanity.

And what is the purpose of large political rallies? Solidarity and sisterhood. Sending a message. Considering how thin-skinned some elected presidents are, it's got to be a thorn in the side.

I hope, wherever you are, you'll set aside a few minutes on Saturday to petition the Goddess Columbia for a safe end to the madness. Take a minute and bang a pot in front of your house. Or put up a sign.

EXHIBIT B: THE PRAYER WARRIORS HATE THIS GODDESS


EXHIBIT C: ANNE'S TO-DO LIST

1. Make a sign or bring a drum.
2. March
3. Campaign
4. Vote

We resist. We persist. We rise.

5 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

when you march and bang your drum, madam president, know that you are marching for me AND my husband. both of us have mobility issues.

I will be wearing my hand=knitted pussyhat around the town tomorrow as I try to run errands.

here is a pix of one of my dear friends in san diego; he is wearing my hand=knitted pussyhat:
https://fearsomebeard.wordpress.com/2018/01/18/womens-march-2018

RESIST! PERSIST!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oooooooo, NOTHING raises energy at a march like a bunch of drummers! May Cybele, the Goddess of Drumming, accompany and inspire you!

Ol'Buzzard said...

Good for you. Keep up the fight
the Ol'Buzzard

e said...

I'll be with you in spirit from the West Coast, dear President!

Jono said...

Even this small community is having a march. I love that we have more than our share of wonderfully uppity women. I may not be able to join them, but will always be cheering from the sidelines.