Monday, December 05, 2016

Re-Introducing The Spare

Everyone's a critic. And is anyone more critical than your own kids, when you get to be a certain age, and they get to be a certain age?

For my many new readers (and I already love you all), I have two daughters. I call them The Heir and The Spare. I got the idea from something I read about Princess Diana back in the day. Apparently Wills and Harry are an Heir and a Spare.

The following conversation occurred a few days ago between myself and The Spare.

Spare: Mother.

Anne: Yes, darling?

Spare: About your blog.

Anne: Something wrong with my blog?

Spare: Yes.

Anne: I'm hanging on your every word. Do you want to see changes?

Spare: Of course! You aren't talking about me enough!

Anne: Right on it.

EXHIBIT A: THE SPARE HAD A BIG YEAR

I know this will make my four original readers feel ancient. I sure do.

Spare graduated from college! She has a good job, and she's doing improv comedy in Philadelphia. Last night I went to a show (it wasn't improv) in which she convincingly portrayed an RNA sequence fresh off a splice!

Spare's college is in Center City, Philadelphia. I love this shot.

EXHIBIT B: SPARE AND BILLY PENN

Then there was a happy day on the Fourth of July, long before politics weighed us down.

EXHIBIT C: SUMMER MUMMERS


Spare and I are all paid up to strut with the Two Street Stompers again on January 1. And just three weeks later, another march! We will wear holes in our shoes.

13 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Congrats to The Spare! So happy to hear she's doing well in her career and in her interests in life!

And yes, thank you very much for making me indeed feel ancient.

And look at those heels! My gawd, only the young and slender can wear those and still walk.

anne marie in philly said...

are you a born and bred philadelphian (as I am)?

the spare is a lovely young woman!

I have cats instead of humans.

Marie Smith said...

Congratulations to The Spare. Well done!

Anne Johnson said...

anne marie, I am a Philly transplant. I was born and raised in Appalachia. (Western Maryland/PA/WV) Becoming a Mummer has made me love Philadelphia like home.

greekwitch said...

Congratulations to the Spare! I hope you are feeling somewhat calmer these days!

Davoh said...

Um, would like to introduce tou all to my 'heir' - but have only one child of my loins, a son. Long time passing - he recognizes me not. I subscribe to his wishes, and cannot, publicly, link his name with mine.


But is, interestingly, in 'movie making'. Apparently he's won a few 'indie' awards. Am i proud of him? Yes, but can never tell him that.

Martha said...

Congratulations to the spare! Wishing her well for always.

I am also ancient with an heir and a spare. Two daughters. Daughters are awesome.

e said...

Kids. I swear!

Now that my one and only is in her 30's (wha...!?!) she actually thinks some of my ideas are good. She actually calls me (ok, texts me) and asks how I do stuff, bc she wants to do the stuff too.

It takes a long time, but eventually they circle back.

Janie Junebug said...

The photos are beautiful. Congratulations to the graduate.

Love,
Janie

Jono said...

You are mummers? Cool! When I grew up in Wilmington I watched them every year. Even a few times after, but people in the Midwest ask, " What the hell is a mummer?" They don't know much out here.

Debi said...

Attractive spare , I ntellegent
and clever wit inherited from Mom ,
Up, up and away! I will watch for her on SNL
x🙋👍❤️🇨🇦

mshatch said...

Congrats to the Spare! I only have an heir, but that's okay by me cuz he's the best heir I could ask for :)

yellowdoggranny said...

I love that face