Monday, July 18, 2022

I Have a Crop!

 Welcome to "The Gods Are Property Owners!" I'm Anne Johnson, proud yeoman of the soil. I'm here to report on my crop yields.

I bought a plot of land in February and visited it in April. Nothing much was growing then except a little bit of sturdy lichen.

This past weekend, my daughter The Fair and I made a sojourn back to the property. If you recall, I named it Anneland.

The Fair is very much into foraging. If you haven't heard of that, it's basically bypassing the local eateries in favor of finding something wild to eat in the woods. The Fair actually found some morels when they were in season ... and those are solid gold.

It's not morel season anymore, but I was so, so glad to have The Fair with me, surveying Anneland. Because as it turns out, there's a crop growing on the hillside. I mean, all along the hillside. As in, probably a quarter acre or more.

EXHIBIT A: PRIMARY CROP, ANNELAND


This is an actual photo from Anneland!

Now, I am intensely grateful to The Fair for positively identifying the wild blueberries, because if I had gone there by myself, I would have assumed that these were poisonous dingleberries or some such, and I would have given them a wide berth. Instead they will be nurtured (along with one tiny raspberry plant I also found).

As you can see, very few of these were ripe. The Fair says I will still have some to pluck when I return to Anneland in August. Maybe enough to make a tart!

It's kind of fun to have your own blueberry patch. Thanks be to Venus Cloacina, great Goddess!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful surprise! And, yes, the morels are pretty much worth their weight in gold. A blueberry tart from Anneland is going to taste divine! All hail the Goddess!
Efrompdx

pam nash said...

What a wonderful find! And, I hope you or The Fair get to the ripe berries before the birds, deer, mice or other mythical creatures that roam Anneland.

CraveCute said...

Those blueberries are wonderful! They are finicky about where they grow so you are very lucky indeed.

yellowdoggranny said...

oh my goddess..................you have a blueberry hill...
did you find your thrill?

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Blogger ate my comment, I see. *shakes fist*