Wednesday, October 20, 2021

I'm a Wreck at the Vo-Tech

 When was the last time I interviewed a bored deity? A long time. But I can't blame them for boycotting me. Who wants to talk to a human wreck who can't even keep her upholstery clean?

This is just a follow-up on the hate crime in my classroom. To recap, a student wrote the "n" word on a Black student's paper during a time when everyone was circulating around the room. The student who received the slur reported it as a HIB (harassment, intimidation, and bullying).

I turned in a ton of handwriting samples to the administration, and this helped them to determine whose handwriting best fit the scrawl on the paper. They clearly identified a boy and proceeded to grill him about it. He cried. He pleaded innocence. His tears moved the vice principals.

They didn't see the look the kid shot me in between grillings. With face masks, all I can see is eyes. But that's all you need to see, really.

Long story short, another student confessed to the crime. The student said he didn't know the paper belonged to an African American student. He said he thought it was funny. And he said he imitated his best friend's handwriting.

This satisfied the administrators and the girl. The boy who confessed was removed from my class. The girl is back.

The boy with the distinctive handwriting and menacing glare is still in my class.

It's unrealistic to expect that I'll never have issues like this in my classroom. But by and large, the students at my school are pretty dedicated and respectful. And the baddies don't last. But with a TikTok challenge called "Slap a Teacher," I am on my guard.

I've got a wand. I found a piece of rose quartz at the beach over the weekend. I put up a grid of the Four Quarters on my desk. Every day I wear my Witch Ball and my copper bracelet.

There are no atheists in the foxhole.

8 comments:

jenmoon said...

THE FUCK?!?!?!?!?!?!

THE RAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGE.

Poor you. Poor your student. I'm so fucking sad/mad at this fucking travesty.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

A really little gang operation going on in your classroom, I see. I wonder what hold the bad student had over the one who confessed.

e said...

What ugly, unconscionable behavior. How long until you can retire???

Anne Johnson said...

I was hoping to work another 6-7 years. But now I think I would rather go live in a hut and eat hamsters.

pam nash said...

That's a sad ending to a serious problem. Keep your guard up and wand at the ready!

Janie Junebug said...

That tik tok crap is fucked up. It seems rather difficult to believe that the problem with the word on the paper is solved. I feel for you.

Love,
Janie

yellowdoggranny said...

wanna take a guess who his parents voted for?

Anne Johnson said...

Gran, you may have a point there. The hate is real.