Wednesday, March 03, 2021

Expendable

 In end stage capitalism, the only lives that are important are the owners. The workers matter not. Someone keel over? Replace the slave and move on.

This is driven home by the push to re-open schools fully, before the real end of the pandemic is in sight. Teachers are expendable. Students are expendable. And with no differentiation between a cluster of kindergartners and big, crowded classes of 15-year-olds, there is bound to be a spike in the virus. A big one.

I read the New York Times every day, and for hours on Sunday. I know the works of all the prominent columnists. It was expected to see David Brooks slam teachers for not wanting to be in school. Not surprising. But when Nicholas Kristof offered his slam a week later, well. I thought he cared about low-paid working people.

Teaching is a profession that has a high percentage of women serving in the basic role of classroom instructor. Most men who enter the profession (including the new Secretary of Education) spend, at most, four years in a classroom while completing their principal certification. The men move up. Most of the long-time classroom teachers are women.

And that means that teachers are expected to martyr themselves for their students.

Don't believe me? Who "saves the day" by getting killed during school shootings? Some poor heroic teacher with a family at home.

Now teachers are being sent back into classrooms prematurely, when the end of the pandemic could otherwise be in sight. I teach high school. This will matter greatly to my students. They are 14 through 16. They and their families will be at risk.

To be fair to my district, they are offering parents the option to keep their kids at home. Those students will go to class virtually, as they have been doing since September. The difference is, teachers will now be instructing in-person classes and online classes simultaneously, while wearing a mask.

The teachers who are already doing this report that it is a massive, overwhelming fail.

My classroom has no air conditioning. In the last 4-5 weeks of school, the temperature can climb to 90 degrees and stay that way. It's global warming in miniature, like a car.

So picture me, Anne Johnson, a teacher of a certain age, working in a stifling hot classroom, in a mask for four hours without a bathroom break. Because that's what I'm looking at, comrades. I have a colleague who will have five hours straight. She's older than I am.

If David Brooks and Nicholas Kristof happened to ring my doorbell right now, I would quickly plug in the cattle prod and give them a good what's for. I never had much respect for Brooks, who is sanctimonious on a good day. But Kristof was one of my favorites. No more. The only way he could redeem himself at this point is to swap jobs with me for the next three months. Then we would see who knows what.

5 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

this makes me crazy...but then so does Gov Abbott of Texas putting the entire state at risk but canceling the mask mandate...

anne marie in philly said...

the idiot gov of mississippi also followed the texASS gov on the mask mandate/opening up. they want to kill people.

FUCK the people who are back-seat-driving your job!

Bohemian said...

They sent a Survey Home and pressed us about sending our Freshman back to School. She's a Special Needs Child and about 2 weeks ago resume some In-Person Special Ed Classes 2 Days a Week for only 2 Hours per day with only one other Student in the Room, plus the Teacher and her Aide. I was comfortable with that, but since our Child is struggling with Online Pandemic Schooling and we can't meet her at the point of need, being Seniors raising a Grandchild, I am quite conflicted about the risk factors versus her educational needs being met. I totally agree with you, it's all failing and all premature, the Schools haven't been funded or prepared for Pandemic In Person situations at all, no real directive or consistency. Even here in AZ every District is just doing it's own thing, every time they've sent some kiddos back they've had to abort the whole thing due to the Kids dragging COVID Home to their Families, Teachers dying, Students getting very sick and having Family Members die... it's just A LOT. The Man got both his vaccines, I get my 1st one on Friday, so should have my 2nd one before the Schools decide after Spring Break in our District, rather to risk it... or not... depending upon Parental feedback. Our Children and Families are too precious to be part of some Experiment... Virtual Hugs, I don't know the Solution to all of this Chaos.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You should email this post to Nicholas Kristof.

e said...

The thing that riles me up is the false narrative that they are opening schools out of concern for students. They are opening schools so that parents can go back to their low wage jobs and get the machinery of consumption running full tilt again. Such hypocrisy. If they cared about students then teachers would be paid as the heroes they are. Fuck them.

All that said, my state (Oregon) vaccinated teachers ahead of the elderly. And schools still aren't open.