Saturday, September 21, 2019

Let's Call Them Kavanaughs

Hello and welcome to "The Gods Are Bored," where the first whiff of late summer is (briefly) in the air! It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. Sort of.

Every year in September, the borough of Haterfield trots out a nice binge -- a flea market and a book sale on the same morning. I can't deal with the Haterfield book sale (crowded with dealers, high prices for used white people books), but the flea market is always a nice stroll. Also, every Saturday there's a farmer's market with local produce. All in all, this Saturday was a morning to toddle around the ol' village and take the air.

First I went to the flea market, which was chock a block with the stuff the millennials won't buy -- and I don't blame them. The place was pretty crowded with shoppers, many of them older than me. And right through this throng of tottering seniors came a male in the prime of life, riding his bike. Not slowly, either.

"Rude," I thought to myself. "He could knock someone down."

Hard on his heels, also on bicycles, came several strapping white teenagers, also riding too quickly for the foot traffic.

"Damn!" I thought. "Can't these kids see all these older people?"

Answer: Nope, they are blinded by privilege.

Matters became more fraught when I made my way to the farmer's market. It's packed into a smallish court, with not much room for pedestrians and the merchants. And wouldn't you know, here came another pack of white teenagers on bikes, scattering mayhem in their wake.

That's when I thought of the name. I hope it becomes used far and wide.

I dubbed them "Kavanaughs." As in a Supreme Court justice who would have done the same damn thing at the same damn age.

The name was so catchy that, when the last kid passed me, I said, "Watch out, Your Honor."

And then when another one passed me as I walked home, I sing-songed "KAVANAUGH" and said, "Your Honor!" to the blithe and blond brat.

From now on, that's what I'm going to call these shitty wastes of genetic material. If a teenager of color did this in Haterfield, he would be sternly warned and possibly ticketed. But who's going to discipline Biff? No one. The world is his oyster, and perhaps it always will be.

I think Haterfield should have a club called Future Supreme Court Justices of America. Just a modest proposal.


6 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

white AIN'T ALWAYS right! wait til those lil shits get out into the real world and find that no one hands them anything, or someone tells them NO, or punches them in the face! lil muthafuckas!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

When I lived in Winnipeg, I had a dear old friend who was knocked down one day by a teenager riding a bicycle on the city sidewalk. She broke her pelvis because of it. As is so often the case with the elderly, a serious fall and break like that was the beginning of the end. She was less able to manage independently in her assisted living home and wound up in a nursing home, where she steadily deteriorated until her death.

Inconsiderate cyclists who ride among pedestrians where they should not be, are a public menace and should be treated accordingly.

yellowdoggranny said...

see? that's the difference between you and me..I'd have clotheslined the first kid on the bike..take the little fuckers out..sigh*

obscure said...

I also live in a Haterfield - Kavanaughs is a perfect name, as my own name for the wealthy and white, Future Fraternity Date Rapists, is a bit of a mouthful

Anonymous said...

It makes me really angry when I see some of the younger generation having no respect for others!

Tal Hartsfeld said...

I'm always amused at how so many bicyclists feel persecuted by dangerous and inconsiderate motorists while never acknowledging how hazardous and menacing they themselves are to pedestrians when "owning the sidewalks".

...no mention of e-scooters (???)