Friday, May 31, 2019

Bicentennial Birthday

Two hundred years ago today, a son was born to a struggling carpenter living on Long Island. The oldest child in a large family, he was sent to work at an early age in a printing shop. But he longed to write, so he pursued a career in journalism, wandering here and there, keeping his observations in little notebooks he stored in his pockets or travel bag. He wrote about everything and anything: spiders, grass, slavery, working people, ferryboats, the beach, the Gods, the jealous God, the spirit, the soul, the passion of lovers, science, family, politics, war, and this country, America. Eventually he turned all these observations into poetry. And then he became our national poet.


This is the bridge that bears his name today. He would be flabbergasted.

When I despair about this country, when I think it cannot get any worse, I remember that he saw worse. He worked in an Army hospital during the Civil War. He wrote about it, too. And yet he kept his optimism about America, about love, about the soul, and about the body and its place in the world.

I feel his spirit in Camden, the city where he chose to be buried. I stopped to see his tomb today, and it was open.



His work is timeless. If you want to see its latest iteration, try this. It's amazing.

Happy birthday, Walt Whitman! Prop us up here! Keep America singing -- its varied carols, for all of us.


"Gently, but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me.
I inhale great draughts of space,
The east and the west are mine, and the north and the south are mine.

I am larger, better than I thought,
I did not know I held so much goodness,

All seems beautiful to me."

--Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Thank you for this post today! Otherwise I would have missed this milestone! Goddess bless Walt Whitman and his legacy.

anne marie in philly said...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Whitman_Bridge
(for those of you who live outside the philly area)

********************

When lilacs last in the dooryard bloom’d,
And the great star early droop’d in the western sky in the night,
I mourn’d, and yet shall mourn with ever-returning spring.
Ever-returning spring, trinity sure to me you bring,
Lilac blooming perennial and drooping star in the west,
And thought of him I love.

Anonymous said...

Rodger C:
When you said his tomb was open, I had a momentary picture of Walt resurrecting. Walt, thou shouldst be living at this hour!

Janie Junebug said...

I didn't know he was buried in Camden. I would bring him flowers if I could. Come lovely and soothing death
Serenely arriving arriving
In the day, in the night
To all, to each
Sooner or later,
Delicate death.

And who can forget I sound my barbaric yawp?

Love,
Janie

e said...

One of our finest poets.