Wednesday, March 20, 2019

The Archives

When you're a school teacher, one dreary year blends into another. This is especially true on cold and gray March days when one has an after-work meeting at the other Vo-Tech campus, which is a 45 minute drive from mine.

As I made the long transit home from the excruciatingly boring meeting, I tried to remember how many years I've been a full-time teacher. I counted and counted in my head. But one dreary year bled into another.

Know how I figured it out? I went to the archives of "The Gods Are Bored."

I am completing my ninth year.

Oh well, lah di dah, time marches on and all that rot!

Happy Equinox to all in North America! The winters are longest when we hardly get any snow, and this is one of those winters.

If you're keeping score, I have to work another 11 years, or until 2031, in order to have 20 years in the profession. I'll be 71.

7 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

today is also national atheist day. happy spring! keep on working; I have no intention of retiring.

anne marie in philly said...

PS - this is where I found that info: https://idleeyesandadormy.com/2019/03/20/atheist-pride-day/

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Ostara blessings to you, Anne! It may be dreary but you are doing important work as a teacher!

Bob said...

Think about a world without educators...we'd all be _____!
Keep going!

yellowdoggranny said...

I remember that..you became my hero

Ol'Buzzard said...

Only another teacher can understand what a burn-out job teaching is.
the Ol'Buzzard

Anonymous said...

Teaching should pay more. I saw a FB meme that figured out that if you paid teachers what babysitters get -- they were figuring $10 per hour per kid -- teachers would be getting $360,000 per year.
--Kim