Saturday, March 09, 2019

My Grand 60th Birthday Gambit

If you're lucky, that day comes ... the day when the sun rises on your 60th birthday. You look in the mirror and say, "Wait a minute. Shouldn't I be turning 30?" But no. Daughter The Heir turns 30 soon. For me, it's 60. On Monday.

Those of you who have been with "The Gods Are Bored" since back in the grand old days know that I never opt for the sane and sensible thing to do, when instead I can do the wacky, frivolous thing.

And so, I am going on a mission to Salt Lake City to meet a very influential vulture named Andy N. Condor.

EXHIBIT A: ANDY N. CONDOR


I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Anne! Why don't you go to the Andes and see real condors? This bird lives in an aviary!"

Yes, you're right. Andy lives at Tracy Aviary. Which means they know a lot about him. Including the day and year that he hatched. The year happens to be 1959.

Andy and I both turn 60 this spring.

The aviary is throwing a whopper of a birthday party for Andy, and I am going to be there. Additionally, I will be spending a day at the aviary earlier in the week for some quality time with this fine buzzard. It's going to be amazing.

What else did you expect of me? Something tame, like whale-watching? Pish tosh! The bored gods wouldn't have me any other way.

In preparation for my trip, I have done some research on hiking in the Salt Lake City area. Lo and behold, within a short drive of the city there's a fairly easy trail that leads to a waterfall and a series of hot springs. Soaking in a sulfurous hot spring has been on my bucket list forever!

So when I'm not fawning over Andy, I'll be up to my neck in a spring, or driving through big-ass mountains. This will allay some of the anxiety over the number of years I have been on the planet.

The trip is next month, during my spring break.

Please don't ask about my plans to retire. I don't have any, nor will I have any for another decade.

Alaska, Hawaii, Barbie, Andy, and me. Six decades along. Wow.

9 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I gave you a shout-out on my blog!

you, my spouse, my sister are all hitting the big 6-0 this year. I turn 65 in september and get to sign up for medicare. oh joy.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Happy Birthday on Monday, Anne -- wow, the Big Six Oh! And what a fab trip you've got planned -- very exciting! I've been to hot springs in the mountains enclosed in indoor facilities and they're very nice but the BEST hot springs experience is to be in an outdoor one in a natural setting. Sounds like that's what you'll encounter on the hiking trail. My Rare One and I went in an outdoor hot springs in British Columbia about 15 years ago -- one of my fondest memories!

Jono said...

Happy birthday to you and Andy! I am glad I am still IN my sixties and won't be leaving for a few years, yet.

Ol'Buzzard said...

You are still a young woman, now in your prime. Enjoy the trip and say hello to the old buzzard from the Ol'Buzzard.
the Ol'Buzzard

Chas S. Clifton said...

Have a super trip. The Wahsatch Front (Salt Lake City and environs) is a strange place -- intensely urbanized, yet you can get out of it quickly. Tour the wildlife refuge around Great Salt Lake if you have time.

Janie Junebug said...

I turned 60 last month. I'm deteriorating a bit physically, but mentally, I think I'm about 12. My daughter lives in Salt Lake City. I visited there once and thought the landscape was interesting and very different from that to which I am accustomed.

Love,
Janie

Aquila ka Hecate said...

What a wonderful idea.
Happy Birthday, Anne!
I'll be joining you at the 60 mark in under 8 months.

Love,

Terri in Joburg

yellowdoggranny said...

happiest of birthday my friend..too bad you can't drop down to Texas and visit..I'd buy you a skunkegg for your birthday

e said...

I'm late to the party, but still bringing good wishes! Coincidentally, I am also turning 60 -- this month! 1959 was a busy one, it seems.
I hope your adventure was thrilling, Anne!
Elizabeth