Thursday, January 03, 2013

Transcendental Mummitation

Don't know about you, but I just can't meditate. They say nervous people have trouble meditating, and I'm nervous. I've tried many times, with various praise and worship options, to meditate quietly for transcendant purposes. Epic fail.

This doesn't mean that I can't have moments of transcendance. There are whole, wonderful varieties of meditation that are simply great for nervous people. You totally leave yourself behind and completely live in the moment -- joyous and at peace.

If you don't think that dressing up in a very fancy costume and dancing, wildly, to bring joy and awe to others is meditation, well. Who the heck are you, and what closet have you been hiding in?

All the best and brightest deities, including the Busy God, include singing and dancing in Their rituals. Archeologists have found unspeakably ancient flutes carved from animal horns. And let me tell you from a vast trove of personal experience: You can make almost anything into a drum. You don't even need a "thing" in the first place! You can snap your fingers or pat your lap with your hands!

(Don't get me started on tap dancing. It's drumming with your feet, and I know how to do it.)

I respectfully submit that, for every person who has sat quietly, grounded, centered, and breathing, there is a person who has leaped around laughing and singing and winding up with the same results. Just as there is more than one route between Detroit and Tampa, there is more than one route to transcendance.

Oh, I am boing myself to tears here! Come on, ladies, let's strut!

It is simply wonderful to strut up Philadelphia's Broad Street on New Year's morning, dancing with spectators and flinging beads to wide-eyed tots. There's a sense of camaraderie within your group, and a feeling of oneness with the people on the sidewalk.

All of this preaching stems from the fact that I can't yet find a YouTube of our Two Street Stompers Comic Brigade 2013 routine. I'll fling it up here as soon as I can. I may fling a few more routines from other clubs at you as well, because the whole idea is to get you laughing.

Laugh. Dance. Strut. Shine. This is pleasing to the deities, bored and otherwise!

(PS - If you are a calm and quiet person, this means of transcendental meditation might be an epic fail for you. Free advice to you? Ground, center, breathe.)

5 comments:

BBC said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BBC said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh my, you've been Triple BBC'd! LOL! Anyway, you're absolutely right. Repetition is the key to meditation -- that's what induces the effect.

Anonymous said...

Different strokes for different folks, as they say. I always found my ballet lessons to be meditative. My transcendent experiences have always been triggered by ideas though. Guess I'm the mental type.

yellowdoggranny said...

every time I have tried to meditate a little voice pipes up and says:'your ass looks fat in these tights.'..and that's it for the day.