Sunday, January 14, 2007

Don't Know How I Missed It

Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored," your oversight capital of the World Wide Web!

Tennessee Jed, one of my favorite bloggers, noticed the "23" above Robert Anton Wilson's head in the photo below. Twenty-three skiddoo! That's no coincidence. Wilson wrote a great deal, especially in Cosmic Trigger, about the number 23 and its mystical significance. If I recall correctly, he wrote that the fact that the digits add up to five make 23 a particularly potent number. I do recall vividly that he added: "If you haven't noticed the number 23 before now, you will certainly notice it now." (Cosmic Trigger)

Wilson was also quite eloquent on the concept of synchronicity, i.e., that nothing is a coincidence.


EXHIBIT A: MICHAEL JORDAN
















We at "The Gods Are Bored" endorse the philosophy of synchronicity and urge our readers to try to find a copy of Cosmic Trigger. Don't look for it at Barnes & Noble. You'll have to try the Web.

FROM ANNE
THE MERLIN OF BERKELEY SPRINGS
Vote for Anne! http://2007.bloggies.com/
Best Blog that No One But Very Very Smart People Read

6 comments:

Tennessee Jed said...

I first became aware of this 23 deal-e-o back in high school when one of my friends who was in the math club (a club Jed was no part of) was trying to explain it to me. Ever since then I have been corrupted to notice the number and how it plays into things. It is the first prime number made up of prime numbers that add up to a prime number. That brings us to the law of fives where it gets really complicated and simple. Some of it stands to reason that there are a limited and small amount of individual digits that we work with so we would naturally see them oft in combos that reoccur. Some say that 23 is the yen and yang of the number line and why we have that number of chromosomes. Undulating waves on a beach have been recorded to have a common beat of the twenty third one being noticeably larger on an observability average.

I wish I had finished my college days so I could ponder these things with credibility. So it means so much when smart folks like Anne notice me in the masses.

Topsy said...

I love all this 23 enigma stuff. I just saw the trailer for The Number 23 w/Jim Carrey - and now REALLY can't get enough - and am looking forward to seeing what they do with it in the film.

Aquila ka Hecate said...

"It is the first prime number made up of prime numbers that add up to a prime number"...

..except of course for 11.
But that depends on whether you count 1 and 2 as primes.

Love,
Terri in Joburg

Tennessee Jed said...

I am not a math pro, but I think that one (1) is not a prime number. 1 is a special number called a unit/integer and the definition of a prime is any whole number greater than one that can only be divided by itself and one, the other numbers are called composite numbers. I think it is funny that 7 and 13 are in the first few primes, and you know how we regard them. I was wrong about having 23 chromosomes, we have that many donated from each parent for our blueprint so we have 46 total.

Aquila ka Hecate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aquila ka Hecate said...

You're right,Jed-1 is no longer considered to be a prime.
It used to be-oh around the time bored gods were waking up after their tea-time nap.
And I'm supposed to be a maths pro. How embarrassing.

It must be this whole RAW thing that's confusing my pea brain.
I've been almosty a lifelong fan of Robert Anson Heinlein (RAH) but he died in 1988, then this RAW character who I'd heard about only from my Pagan friends ups and dies too.

It's all a bit much for an Eagle of Very Little Brain...

Love,
Terri in Joburg