Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Please Don't Rain on My Parade!

 Literally. Because it's that time again ... The Philadelphia Mummers Parade!

And for the first time in the 10 years since I've been marching, the forecast is calling for rain.

Okay, 2021. Surprise me.

A week before Xmas break, my daughter The Heir phoned me to tell me her house mate had tested positive for COVID. By Wednesday, December 22, Heir's boyfriend was running a fever and experiencing all the flu-like symptoms you might expect with a breakthrough infection. Heir and her boyfriend both stood in line for two and a half hours for PCR tests, and they didn't get the results back for three days. He was positive, she was negative.

Needless to say, Heir and her boyfriend were scratches for Xmas. The Fair came with her boyfriend (and her endlessly fascinating cat, Bijoux), but we all felt like COVID won another battle.

Now the weather is threatening the Mummers Parade. Gotta say that would be a perfect capstone to a dreadful year.

Or maybe it's the beginning to another Bullshit Year from Suck City, 2022. We don't need a crystal ball to see that Roe v. Wade is fucked, or that no meaningful social change will happen in America, or that this virus will continue to plague us. It's like we've been dumped into Republican Hell and are totally at the mercy of Bible-thumping blowhards.

Speaking of Bible-thumping, did you see that NASA hired a bunch of religious experts to predict how the faithful of various sects would react to the news of life on other planets? I am VERY INSULTED that they didn't hire me! I could give them chapter and verse on two dozen deities from a dozen pantheons. But NOOOO, let's talk to the Baptists!

I wonder if NASA hired a Pagan. Fat chance, huh?

Well, it's a question to pose to bored deities if I can get any to drop by in the next few weeks. I believe that some of them have subcontracted to other solar systems in the past, but don't quote me until I can get a few of them on the record.


P.S. - if you are looking for Yellowdog Granny, she's doing an end run around Blogger. her site is now https://westbygoddesstexas.blogspot.com. Go and see the nice holiday meal she set up for her Meals on Wheels buddies!



4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Wishing you good weather for the Mummers and no more Covid infections in your family! This Omicron variant spreads like wildfire, unfortunately, but vaxxing should keep us out of hospital.

I thought of you the other day, when My Rare One and I watched a movie called "Freedom Writers." It's about a hero teacher who makes genuine connections with her multiracial underprivileged students and helps them rise above their circumstances of poverty, gangs and violence. I don't know how truly realistic the screenplay was, but apparently it was based on a true story.

e said...

First the Smithsonian and now NASA. How insulting!

I hope your parade isn't rained out. Poor broken weather, we are reaping what we have sown.

My kid also canceled the trip to my house for the holiday. Dang it! Beyond tired of this, not that my feelings matter to the virus.

Bohemian said...

So sorry inclement weather has delayed your Parade! Also, thanks for info on where Yellowdog Granny went, I had been concerned.

Bohemian said...

PS: Hope your Daughter can continue to avoid getting infected even with household members catching this damned Virus.