Friday, April 23, 2021

First Day of School, April 22, 2021

 What a wacky week! September behavior in April! And I'm not talking about the weather.

This past week marks the first time I have had students physically in my classroom for over a year. I have been trying to teach them over the Internet since last fall, and it's been a challenge.

But I guess I won them over, because they seemed so happy to see me in the flesh! Was I an influencer somehow? And wowsa, did I entertain them when they sat down in their desks! I did Mummers strut. I did happy dances. I squealed. I wiped fake tears. When the wind caused the cheap windows to vibrate, I told them it was a nest of murder hornets, sit very still. Oh I was in rare form!

Only about half of my students have returned, and the rest are still online. So I am teaching in a mask, online and in person simultaneously. It's like having a litter of kittens to foster. Soon as you pay attention to one, another one wanders off to walk in fresh paint.

Perfect time for poetry, don't you think? I compiled 40 poems, mostly by writers of color, to do a poetry unit. I call it "Poetry Playoffs" and use brackets like the NCAA to find the class favorite poem.

When freshmen arrive at high school, we teachers get what we call a "honeymoon." They are timid and well-behaved and eager to please. This phase usually lasts about six weeks.

Well, there are only six weeks left in the school year, and the past two days I got small classes of honeymooning freshmen, sitting quiet and attentive (and laughing at me).

It's wonderful to finally have students back in class. Wonderful. The only reason anyone would do this grueling job is the chance to be around young people. And what terrific students I have! Great kids. Their lives matter.


P.S. - I've been doing an SAT prep class online since September, and I gave those students an "out" by asking them if they think they're good to go. Darn if those lil pups didn't say they want to keep doing SAT prep because they like getting together with me. Four kids, opting to do SAT prep! Give me a damn Oscar.


P.P.S. - I saw a bald eagle fly over the school three times this week. This afternoon it lingered long enough for me to be absolutely positive what I was looking at. I don't see it as an omen, just an incredibly uplifting sight.

7 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm glad that "back to school" with your students is off to such a rousing start! And your idea of "poetry playoffs" is brilliant!

Janie Junebug said...

I hereby nominate you for Best Director and Best Actress. Even better news--you've already won.

Love,
Janie

jenmoon said...

I'm glad it went well!

anne marie in philly said...

I thought you went back to the physical classroom this week. it must have been fun!

e said...

What a great return to the classroom! I hope the rest of the year is as comfortable and focused as this first week.

I thought about you when I was driving to a business meeting last week. I saw a buzzard tearing into some roadkill at the side of the highway and I said, 'What a good omen!' And, it was!

Bohemian said...

My Granddaughter is a High School Freshman and in her Honeymoon Phase, so all the Teachers still like her... so far. *LOL* I would imagine that Teaching in Person AND Online would be like Herding Cats.

yellowdoggranny said...

what Janie Junebug said