Monday, January 20, 2020

Raining on My Parade

Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored," wishing we could sneak into Davos and eat the rich! Or at least eat what the rich are eating, which I bet are some exceptionally fine vittles.

Mr. J and I are just emerging from an epic grippe. He was hospitalized with it, and I coughed for three weeks straight. Today was the first time since the Mummers Parade that I was able to get out and even exercise a little bit.

And with everything else going on in the world, today's post is yet again about the Mummers Parade.

The city of Philadelphia is quite clearly sick of this parade. They have shortened the route and put a third of the performances indoors. But the worst enemy of the Mummers Parade are some of the participants themselves.

The use of blackface in the parade has been banned since the 1960s, and even entries with "tanned" or red skin have been called into question. All Mummers know that appearing in blackface gives the press and the city ammunition in denouncing the spectacle. It also provides reason for the city's majority population groups to hate the parade.

And yet there are always two or three pinhead cracker morons who insist on blacking their faces.

The difficulty arises in the size of some of the wench clubs. (If you think of the parade as a hierarchy, even the wenches will tell you that they are the bottom feeders.) When you have a club marching a thousand people, your leadership can't police everyone. Sadly, it appears that self-policing or group admonition is beyond these fools.

The largest and rowdiest wench brigade was disqualified this year from their division for having members in blackface. The leadership of the brigade said those offenders will not march with the group again. But the damage is done. The appearance of those two or three wannabe Nazi creepers was the only thing the various news outlets wanted to talk about in the wake of the parade. And of course this malfeasance has been seized upon by everyone who wants the parade to be seen as racist, lawless, and a blot on the spotless reputation of the City of Brotherly Love.

I know there are racist and homophobic people who march in the Mummers Parade. Those people are not in my comic club. Do I stand down and denounce the event, or do I participate?

Well, I look at it like this. You go to a party, and over in the corner there's a pinhead cracker moron with a t-shirt that shows Trump dressed like Rambo, holding a semi-automatic weapon. (No lie, I have seen such shirts. Not at the Mummers Parade.) Do I get a plate of food and sit as far away as I can from the offender, or do I leave? Do I offer myself and my friends as better examples of the average party-goer, or do I just decamp in a huff?

I have no plans to decamp from the Mummers Parade. It hurts my heart to see it showered with disrespect by groups that I like (aka Antifa), but the experience does remind me that the biggest story is always the ugliest story. "Nice Mummer Lady Poses with Crowds on Her Way Back to the El Train" would hardly be something that anyone would want to read.

For the record, my club (Comic, not Wench Division) finished third. We had over 200 members in our group. None in blackface. That. Would. Not. Fly.

11 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sorry to hear you and Mr J have been so sick. Do you get an annual flu shot? If not, it might be wise to get one next year.

How terrible that "blackface outlaws" are ruining the Mummers Parade for everyone else. Some people just can not, or will not, get it through their heads that racialized makeup and costumes are justifiably banned.

anne marie in philly said...

third - not bad!

some pinhead nazi morons just HAVE to ruin it for everybody. no, you ignore the nazis and keep marching. the nazis have been kicked out.

sorry to hear about your illnesses. poor mister j! hope he is home and recovering.

Bohemian said...

I agree that coverage of the fringe who desperately want the attention for their sick agendas should be something the Press should just ignore and focus upon the majority who make each Event Great. We cannot control the sickness and hatred of the fringe groups... and I refuse to let any of them control my behaviors and what I participate in... only the Light can drive out the Darkness. I'm glad you placed so high and didn't have any morons in your midst/group! The fact you don't tolerate them means that the groups they ARE in clearly do, and shouldn't, if enough pressure were put on them to be ostracized I doubt we'd see them, the shame should be heaped heavily upon them so that they realize they will not be tolerated by the majority of decent folks.

Ol'Buzzard said...

Did you get your flue shot this year?
just wondering
the Ol'Buzzard

yellowdoggranny said...

I'm so sad you 2 were so sick..I am afraid to say that I haven't been sick since oct..knock on wood..and everyone in all the families have been sick..just knew the gg's would pass it to me.but so far..? I'm good.
I was going to mail the papers out to you today..but damn day just not long enough for all the things I had to do before I go to chinasprings to watch the ggs..so will mail it out monday..sending you some west news too..

BA Exam Updates said...

Thanks Dear.....

ba time table 2020 purvanchal university

Ruhi Sukhla said...

This is very interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger.

SDSUV BA 2nd Year Result

ba time table said...

Very nice post. I definitely love this 3rd year ba final year exam datesite.

BA 1st Year Time Table said...

For a long time, I & my friend were searching for informative blogs, but now I am in the right place guys, you have made a room in my heart.
For more details, you can follow our website:
BA Time Table
BA 1st Year Time Table

BA Result said...

I like this blog very much, Its a very nice billet to read and incur Info.

Anonymous said...

LOVE WORLD WIDE https://www.dritikaur.in/