Thursday, October 23, 2014

Hoping for Some Dull Moments

Yesterday afternoon I went to the doctor for a checkup. She told me that a medication I've been taking for 25 years has been linked with Alzheimer's Disease. I had two great-aunts who had that illness. My mother also basically died of dementia.

Already I have been forgetting things and getting confused about appointments and stuff. I've been chalking it up to sleep deprivation, but damn. I don't want Alzheimer's Disease.

So now we embark on a bold new initiative.

As long as things are dull as dirt, I have a chance.

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Alzheimers is one of everyone's greatest fears, isnt' it . . . may it not come true for you, me or anyone we know/love.

Sharon Fargo said...

May I ask the name of the drug? So I can avoid it...

Helen/Hawk said...


@ debra - so mote it be.

As for the dementia, perhaps a conversation w/your doctor helping clarify the difference between sleep deprivation, age-typical forgetfulness and alzheimer's might be useful.
It is certainly one of the major fears many of us have about aging.

Anne Johnson said...

Sharon, the drug is in a class of anti-anxiety, anti-seizure medications. If you take anything for anxiety or seizures, you should speak to your doctor.