Monday, January 03, 2011

Bored God of the Boiler Room

Welcome to ... pant pant pant ... "The Gods Are Bored!" pant .. pant. I'm your scorched hostess, Anne Johnson. Hot! Hot! Hot!

The school building I work in is 80 years old and counting. It has an old-fashioned boiler room.

When I arrived in my classroom after Christmas break on Monday morning, the temperature hovered ... I kid you not ... at least in the 80s if not nearing 90. It was like walking into a sauna.

Our New Jersey governor is all for firing teachers and busting our union, but I wonder how much moolah the state could save if it upgraded old boiler rooms.

In an effort to lower the output of hot air (in my classroom, not from the governor's mouth -- latter being impossible), I took a hike downstairs to the boiler room to see what was up.

And here's just the problem that arises when there are bored gods around with no meaningful employment. Lounging in the boiler room I found Vulcan. He was staring vacantly at the furnace, occasionally adjusting the intake valves.

Granted, there are some bored gods who we can live without, and Vulcan certainly is one of them. Who needs a volcano erupting all over the place? Just ask those poor folks in Pompeii what they think of Vulcan. All the same, this Dude is out of place in a public school.

I'm frankly afraid to do a praise and worship for Vulcan, to get him out of the boiler room and on to bigger, better things. I didn't even say howdy to him. For all I know, I could offer him an interview here at TGAB, and he would respond by blowing my house sky-high so my humble belongings will make the lunar eclipses red. On the other hand, I have to spend 10 hours a day, sometimes more, in a room where it's becoming impossible not to sweat the small stuff.

I guess I'll have to approach Vulcan and, picking my words carefully, offer Him some sort of olive branch. Somehow I feel like He won't be any more enthusiastic about turning down the heat than the school janitor. More capable, yes. More willing, no.

Perhaps I'll send Vulcan an anonymous note gently suggesting He may wish to visit the Mid-Atlantic Trench until March or April. I could even pass myself off as one of the World Cultures teachers, in case Vulcan gets pissed. Something's gotta change, though. In this era of energy conservation, I hate having to open windows on the coldest day of the year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

From one Jersey Girl to another, I will happily come to your school and help throw Chris Christie into the boiler.

Hecate said...

When I was teaching, the brilliant school board had a contract with an evil company that will not be named that apparently split with said evil company the money saved on school heating bills. Not surprisingly, my room was FUCKING FREEZING and, also not surprisingly, the "techs" from said evil company were not v sympathetic when called and asked to make said classroom, you know, habitable by human beings. I'm not going to say what I did and I'm not going to say that my teacher's aide may not have, by mistake, put a wet paper towel and a fan next to the thermometer and I'm not going to say that she did. And I'm not going to say that I don't still, sometimes, wish ill to both said BOE and said evil company. All that I'm going to say is that, Anne, I hope your classroom is not too hot and not too cold, but just right.

Intense Guy said...

I'm actually amazed some of those "dinosaur" era heating systems still function.

I wonder how hard it is to get replacement parts - should one of them ... umm.. go missing...