Friday, May 07, 2010

My Very Totally Awesome Garden Blog!

Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored," giving a whole new meaning to the term "green thumb!"

Everyone else brags about his or her garden, so let me tell you all about mine. It's an anti-garden.

Instead of planting pretty stuff and fussing over it, I just let everything grow wherever it wants to grow. Even the little plot I had set aside for tomatoes is now clogged with some plant that likes New Jersey soil.

I love the idea of gardening, but when I get out there to do it, it seems like so much work. Better to hop in the hammock and spend that time being a vegetable, rather than planting one.

Actually I have done some planting in my yard. When the city of Baltimore tore down the old Memorial Stadium where the Orioles used to play, I went into the wreckage and took some seeds off the wildflowers growing up through the rubble. That's what's now growing in my so-called garden.

Remember the old adage: weeds are plants that are growing where you don't want them to grow. In my yard, there's no such thing as a weed.

My neighbors envy me. I often see them staring across the fence. I try not to be vain about my fabulous anti-garden. No use stirring up jealousy in suburban New Jersey.

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Glad to hear there's no stink-eye coming off those neighbours!

Hecate said...

Pics of the wildflowers! We want pics!

Aquila ka Hecate said...

Yes - it sounds so good. I 'garden' with an eye to letting the plant kingdom sort itself out, too. Although along comes my partner and tries to save some of the English - indigenous flowers. :)

Love
Terri in Joburg

Anne Johnson said...

Ah, my sweet Hecate, few of my plants flower because the yard doesn't get enough sun. The weeds from Memorial Stadium grow 7 feet tall and then emit an anemic-looking yellow bloom.