Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Free Advice on Getting Your Letter to the Editor Published in the (Not Fake) New York Times

Did you know that the New York Times was in publication during the Civil War? I did some research on the Battle of Antietam, and by golly, the good ol' New York Times had several correspondents right there in the thick of things.

It wasn't fake then, and it's not fake now.

That sound you hear is the buttons popping on my vest. Ten days ago I wrote my first-ever "Letter to the Editor" to the New York Times, and against all odds, they published it -- and first in line!

I'm an old-timer who likes to get her news in paper format. Imagine my conceit humble pride when I opened Monday's newspaper and saw my letter there, at the very top of the column!

(I had advance notice. The editors contacted me about word choice and length, of course. It's the New York Times, they don't mess.)

The letter is about the villainous Betsy Devo$ and her assault on sexual assault victims. It's in response to an editorial the so-called "fake" New York Times published that actually praised the menace Devo$ for her actions.

And here it is!

So, now you are asking ... Anne, what's your secret? Lots of people write to the New York Times every day!

Ahem ... well ... (twirls the casual coat button) ... my first guess is that, in these days of instant commenting, most people don't bother to write a formal letter to the editor, which first you have to look up the email address (kind of hard to find) and then you have to submit it.

Then, well, I sorta figured the best way to proceed was to lard the thing with every big word I ever knew from my days of bi-monthly vocabulary tests in Mr. Hershey's English class.

Finally, there was the passion. A good Letter to the Editor needs passion. Having had numerous friends, colleagues, and family members who have experienced simple and/or sexual assault, especially in college settings, I felt a pressing need to weigh in.

It's that pressing need that gets 'em every time.

If you ever feel a pressing need to write a letter to the editor of the New York Times, keep it short and fill it with big words. You know you can do it. Only smart people read this blog ... so you know you can. You know you can.

7 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Great letter, Anne! You deserve to feel pride in its publication!

Ol'Buzzard said...

how can people consider major news papers fake news and at the same time hang on every conspiracy theory on Face Book?
the Ol'Buzzard

Ol'Buzzard said...

the New York Times, I'm impressed. Maybe I'll give it a try. I'm tired of the crap, knee jerk, right wing comments I get when I write to the local papers.
thanks for the thought.
the Ol'Buzzard

yellowdoggranny said...

doesn't surprise me at all...but yay for you.

Janie Junebug said...

Great letter! How can anyone think that Betsy is right about this issue? She's not right about anything. She's not in her right mind, except that her mind leans too far to the right.

Love,
Janie

Jono said...

Multi-syllabic, properly spelled and concise. That alone is impressive. Getting it in the Times is also impressive, but you really shine in content. I can only hope that it increases awareness of the problem and Ms. Devo$' general idiocy. The foxes are in charge of the henhouse and need to be removed.

CraveCute said...

Fantastic letter! Great work!